Learning Self-Analysis

My name is Maralyn Carter and I am a student currently enrolled in the Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing program.  During my time here at City Tech, I have learned a great deal.  My education here has reinforced something that is critical in nursing and in the health professions in general.  That is, the value of “teamwork.”  During my studies, I had to partner with my classmates both in the clinical and the classroom settings.  In these groups, all of us students learned to work as a collaborative team.  This is especially important when caring for patients’, with respect to continuity of care.  Collaboration is also needed and very vital to patient safety.

After careful self-analysis throughout the semester, I find that I like being part of a team very much.  Although it is good to be independent as a nurse, being a team member is also gratifying in that it provides one with a sense of belonging to a group.  The feeling of being a team member is even more rewarding when the entire group caring for one or more patients’ has been able to provide safe and efficient care.

My learning experience as a student has not only increased my knowledge, but my skills as a professional registered nurse.  I am very fortunate to have had the chance to learn from very experienced and patient instructors.  It is also comforting to know that these instructors really do care about the education that their students are receiving.

As I go on to my final two semesters, I look forward to learning even more and growing in the field of nursing.