Visual Quote Project

My visual quote is based on a nostalgia of mine; waking up early for Saturday morning cartoons. I’d always be up early for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and also because of the inspiration from a vinyl collectible sitting on my desk at home, I decided to work with the famous quote by the goof of the turtle brothers, Michelangelo, who says, “Cowabunga Dude!”

I wasn’t sure if I wanted to draw out figures or use type in order to create a representation of the quote said by the cartoon character. I started thinking about the colors that would be used in the piece and started playing with greens and oranges until I started seeing a picture of what I could draw, in my head.

My first concept was based off of the turtles’ shells and the silly nature of the way the characters speak, so I thought of the shell representing Michelangelo the turtle and his quote as a banner for his shell.

Turtle Shell

Another idea that came to mind is the fact that the characters are New York based and live in the sewers of the city. When I was younger, I used to believe they—the turtles—actually existed and would call out to me to join their squad. I created a classic NYC manhole cover and imagined Michelangelo calling out his famous phrase from the sewers.

Turtles in the Sewer

Finally, in this piece, I couldn’t help but include the classic love of pizza the characters share and now I’m getting hungry, but Michelangelo already picked out the best slice!!

Pizza Time