Wednesday September 11 post-class

Study and read super-carefully and PRINTOUT the Unit One Assignment Education Narrative on the Assignments page.  So far our readings have pointed us toward the first three writing prompt options:

1. Mentor Quote
  2. Between Two Different Worlds
  3. Saved

You may also now consider the other two options:

1. Resilience
  2. Single Story (we will be discussing readings that touch upon these two last themes in our next classes).

Choose one that you want to try out for this HW#4. 

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WRITE THE WHOLE ESSAY NOW.  YOU ARE JUST TRYING OUT YOUR IDEAS FOR A TWO PARAGRAPH SCENE.

Don’t worry, you are not “married” to your choice now.  You can change your choice if the writing option you choose now doesn’t work out.

• Use whatever you choose as the title: Mentor Quote/Saved/Between Two Different Worlds/Resilience/OR/Single story (choose one) — Your Name ________________.
  • Choose the same word for the category.  Remember only ONE category!
  • DUE FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 13
  • COMMENT ON TWO PEERS BY SATURDAY SEPT 14.  Try to give meaningful comments.  No more just saying I like your ideas, or I can relate.  Try to pointout if a part is unclear/confusing or give a suggestion or tell the writier what you would like to know more about.

In One Sentence tell me What is the single transformative event that you are writing about?  SO — You might write:

• My story is about the basketball team saved me.
  • My story is about how I lived in two different worlds: the Chinese world of my parents and the English speaking world at school.
  • My story is about how I survived my senior year 2020-2021 which was covid-school.
  • My story is about _______________________.

THEN, reach back into your memory and SHOW me a significant event that you will include in your story about your educational journey.  Aim for TWO paragraphs.  Use CSD Concrete Specific Details.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WRITE THE WHOLE ESSAY NOW.  YOU ARE JUST TRYING OUT YOUR IDEAS FOR A TWO PARAGRAPH SCENE FOR THIS HW.

The reading for next Monday is Amy Tan’s “Mother Tongue.”  Group 4 will do the Master Vocabulary List.  Due to Google Drive by Sunday night.