Mentor Quote- Noureen Ayub

“Your child is qualified for an IEP program.”

As my Pakistani immigrant parents, English is there second language. They had no idea what this program was all about. Instead, they accepted this IEP request based on the teacher’s explanation of IEP is a special education service which supports students with disability or advocate students to meet their academic goals individually.

Being eight years old, I wasn’t able to speak up to my parents for making the decision they hope was better for me. I was put one grade behind for not knowing English better, while I was supposed to be in third grade. The fact my parents knew English is my second language, and I did learn to speak English from watching televisions shows back in 2000 like Wizard Waverly place, the suite life of Zack & Cody, Hannah Montana and animation shows from Disney. But my English wasn’t fluent. “I have speech impediment!” I just smiled and agreed with my parent acknowledging my weakness. My dad looked right into my eyes smiling back, he said “Don’t worry, you’ll do better.”

I wasn’t aware having speech problems can have negative impact on my education. I was assigned for specialist assistance with a small number of students in a classroom. According to my needs in the IEP program, ESL and speech class was given to me. I wasn’t really satisfied. As the principle said, by the end of the year depending on your report card we will see your improvement and make a change through your education requirement. Hearing that, I came up with a strong hope.

In ESL class, I was with the diverse students learning English language. At that moment, I didn’t feel isolated. I figured out having ESL is normal. A comfort vibe grew inside me. Day by day, I explored new vocabulary, enhanced my reading and writing skills. At last, our teacher came up with the ‘Spelling bee’ competition. I was only student chosen in my class to compete with several grades’ students. Remembering, I came the second. My teachers were really happy with my hard work. In all the classes I end up with the grades of A. I became student of the month three time in a year. My principle was very proud of me.

At the end of the school year, parent teacher conference was held. My parents and I walked to school about 20 minutes away our home. As we reached, the auditorium was full teachers with student voices and their parents. We had a seat by the table full of snacks such as chips, juices, baked cookies, cupcakes, and coffee. My parents and I waited eagerly to meet with my teacher. A few minutes later, my name was called, I got up excitedly with positive hope of getting rid of IEP.

My teacher, Ms. Escobar greeted my parents with excitement tone. As she went over my report card and my progress throughout the school year. And I was jumping a head my grade. Next year I will be going into fourth grade instead of third grade. My parents were really surprised with my grades. Now, my parents and I were mostly concerned to remove the IEP. Ms. Escobar came with the conclusion of requesting my parent’s weather they wanted me to keep the IEP service or not, but I was no more eligible for it. That was the first time, I made a decision on behave of my parents that I no longer wanted to keep the IEP. Therefore, I accomplished my grade and was out of IEP.

3 thoughts on “Mentor Quote- Noureen Ayub”

1. That’s very talented of you learning English from watching television. Im glad that you were excited of accomplishing your goal and skipping a grade. what were the things you did in order for you to get rid of your IEP?

1. I took ESL class which helped me improve my writing, reading, and vocabulary. Also, I had after school classes to do my homework, get help with math, and specifically English. English class became my priority I started to read more books and became part of Spelling bee competition this led me to come second in spelling bee and a student of month. Having good attendance, participating in classes, doing homework on time, engaging mostly in reading books and working on activities such as joining sports, making friends and gaining confidence.