Success Tips – Amit Darmalingum

Tip 1: Understanding deadlines is crucial for me because, in college, missing a deadline without requesting an extension means not receiving a grade, unlike in high school where you might have been able to get away with it. To adapt, I plan to meet every deadline, and if something prevents me from doing so, I’ll ask for an extension in advance. I also intend to stop procrastinating and complete my assignments on time by using an agenda to keep track of all my work. My need to change became clear when I realized that, in high school, I would always wait until the last minute to complete my work. Now that I’m in college, I understand the workload will be different, and if I continue to procrastinate, I’ll end up overwhelmed with too much work to do at once. 

Tip 2: Finding study skills that work for me is crucial because college comes with numerous exams and a more demanding workload. Effective study skills not only help manage time better but also enhance my ability to retain information and perform well on both exams and assignments. I plan to apply this by consistently studying the topics we cover in class, rather than waiting until the last minute. In high school, I often relied on just winging it, rarely dedicating time to thorough study sessions. However, I realize that this approach will no longer be sufficient in college, where the expectations and challenges are much higher. To succeed, I will need to develop a disciplined study routine, incorporating regular review sessions and focused study time into my daily life. This shift in strategy will be essential for managing the increased workload and ensuring that I can keep up with the demands of my college courses.