Learning Self Analysis

Education and the thirst for knowledge and self-improvement are a few things that only you can give yourself. It has been a tough but great four years at NYCCT from the Associate Nurse to the Baccalaureate Nurse program. It is a bittersweet goodbye to the college, fellow classmates and compassionate, nurturing professors of the nursing program. But I have to admit that I do not miss staying up the whole night doing term papers and then working early the next day. I cannot believe that I made it through the Associate and Baccalaureate program while working full-time. As tough and stressful as it was, I am glad that I went through without quitting.

The Associate Nurse program had taught me how to practice as a nurseā€”medication administration, physical assessments and disease process. But the Baccalaureate program taught me how to be more than a nurse. It broadens my views on people and their health and lifestyle choices. It had taught me how to communicate better with family, friends and clients. The program taught me how to be a leader and an advocate to things that are unjust. The courses had exposed me to a variety of social issues and social injustices. One of my memorable clinical is at the Stein Senior Center with Dr. Egues for Community Nursing. The seniors came to the center to socialize and to have breakfast and lunch. The seniors said that the center helps them in many ways and one of the ways is providing them with a warm meal. It was so dishearten to hear that having a warm meal is a major concern for the seniors in their golden years.

NYCCT nursing program uses Jean Watson framework in the teaching. The core principles and practices include the practice of loving-kindness, enabling deep belief of others, cultivating oneā€™s own spiritual practice toward wholeness of mind/body/spirit and finally allowing MIRACLES. I believe in miracles! I was briefly introduced to her theory during the first semester of nursing and honestly did not truly understand. As the semesters went on and not until the Baccalaureate program that I realized that I have been subconsciously practicing her theory. It helped me built character and challenged my weaknesses. I can truly say that nursing made me a better person and that I can contribute to society. I learned and understood how to care and not just the meaning of the word.