Teaching Methodologies

• Self-Assessments – self-awareness begins with self-assessment of personality, communication, and collaboration styles. Utilizing free, and fun self-assessments, the student can begin to understand their own strengths and opportunities for growth. For example, the DiSC test is used to increase self-awareness of personality type and Team Roles Test is used to improve team functioning and collaboration.
  • Clinical Case Studies – I love telling stories. After more than 30 years, as an acute care clinician and administrator, I share clinical cases that assist the student to marry the theoretical concept, and the clinical or administrative situation.  This assists in retention and integration of the framework concept.
  • Simulation and Role-Playing Activities – as identified through my own experience, every situation is an opportunity to develop or refine skills for the next similar situation. Simulation offers the student a safe environment in which to develop skills they may not be able to attaine in the clinical setting, such as Electroconvulsive Therapy.  Role playing aids in the development of crucial conversation skills.
  • Technology – (internet, video, YouTube, discussion boards, blogs, pictures, music) – it important to embrace technology and how it can support and illustrate theoretical concepts, concurrently, the evaluation of the source is just as critical. It is an essential tool to support state-of-the-art concepts.
  • Data Analysis – My students will develop an understanding that data is a clinician or administrator’s best friend. The ability to develop a measurable process, to demonstrate impact to clinical care, is a critical competency that is growing.  Changes to healthcare, and population health, will require the clinician to analyze and understand trends, rates, and other demographic details.

Every student learns best through a combination of various methods of learning.  The ability to partner with each student, to determine the best mix of didactic and experiential process, coupled with technology, will assist me to provide a creative environment in which to stimulate critical thinking skills for all students.