Internship Experience

My internship at Flushing Hospital Medical Center has been an enriching experience. The exposure to different needs including children really helped me grow professionally. All of my patients had been adults and now thanks to this wonderful opportunity I was able to work with children and teens even in the OR.

Patient S.Y. for example was one of these wonderful experiences. He is of age 7. He needs full mouth rehabilitation. Medical history for patient S.Y: Mental retardation, developmental delay disorder and undescended testes. Surgical history includes: Undescended testes surgery, dental surgery and earwax removal. Medications patient currently on: Miralax 17g taken orally daily. Blood Pressure: 113/83. Diagnosis was Rampant caries.

Child was nasally intubated. Nitrous Oxide was used and then Fentanyl. Assisted in exposing child to x-rays with a portable PID(which was a first time use for me). Happy to report no cone cuts! Had to wear a lead apron and stay in the room and expose which was also a first time for me. Assisted in the extractions of B, C, K, H, I, L, #14, #19, #3, #30. Teeth #3, #14, #19, #30 and K were replaced by stainless steel crowns. I assisted Dr. Lee for 4hrs in this dental surgery. Got to teach mom home care for her son. Explained to her the process behind caries and how with a few dietary modifications she can help S.Y. stay caries free. It truly was a very enriching experience.