Give Kids A Smile! -New York City College of Technology

On February 28, 2024, I participated in the dental hygiene program community service event called Give Kids a Smile. Give kids a smile is a program that provides free dental screenings, preventative services, and education on oral health care for children. Students and staff from Queens College Speech-Language- Hearing department, Colgate professional team, and New York City College of Technology dental hygiene and vision care department worked together to provide children with free health services.

After participating in this community event it had enlightened me with new knowledge and skills on how to educate and bring awareness to pediatric patients and families on maintaining good oral hygiene habits. It was interesting to see how involved my pediatric patient was in her own oral hygiene. The patient demonstrated proficiency in making sure to brush twice a day. I encouraged the patient to continue practicing brushing twice a day and try to explore and learn about different interdental aides to incorporate into their oral routine with assistance from a parent or guardian.