So as previously established in blog #1, Professor Stewart and his depiction of the course has continue to captivate and hold my attention. So during the last class we were all assigned to a patient  and were given the opportunity to access our patient charts. The chart was filled with an array of information ranging from past medical hx, doctor appointments, follow ups, and a brief synopsis on the patient personal upbringing and life.  The primary task of this assignment was to  read the chart create a comprehensive image of the patient, meet the patient, and then compare the charted info with the oral information collected from the patient. So finally I met my patient and we spoke in depth about  the community, her accessibility to the resources, children (daughter) grandchildren( 4 grandchildren), southern upbringing,  life in the Big Apple, and how she was introduce to CNR. So the next time we meet I will be fine tuning my discussion  to cover specific community related questions such as: who she lives with,  where she lives–lower level / upper level apartment, private or apartment building, transportation, day-to-day living , friends or family member support system.  The information  collected is vital to understanding her accessibility to community resource, family support, and psychosocial development.  It also helps to assess for potential and actual problems that may warrant further intervention. Based on one of her several diagnosis I  am also in the process of developing a teaching model about  NIDDM(Type II). Topics such as food substitution, blood glucose monitoring, and adhering to medication regiment will be presented in a manner that is elucidated and understandable.

« »