Brandon Google Blog

In the article , “Is Google Making Us Stupid” by Nicolas Carr I was able to notice a few negative effects that come from using the Internet. The fact that we have such a large amount of information on the web is a benefit, however, it comes at a price. People think that since they have this information available to them, it makes them smart or intelligent. There is a quote in the article that states, “they would be thought as knowledgeable when they are for the most part quite ignorant … filled with the conceit of wisdom instead of real wisdom” (pg 12). The problem with the internet is that you stop exercising your brain or memory. You might have the answers to questions, but do not understand how you got to that certain answer. The availability of books end up making people become lazy and less studious. All they want is a shortcut to a mass amount of knowledge, not realizing the importance of gaining knowledge themselves from reading or writing. There are probably many more negative effects that come from the internet that I am still unaware of or have not yet noticed. Even though the internet is seen as “reliable” there are still many cons. The internet gives us artificial knowledge and people begin to forget what it is like to actually read and learn. The internet is a huge distraction to many if not used responsibly. This is why I agree with the idea that the internet is making us stupid.