“Is Google Making Us Stupid?” Taught Me…

The article ā€œIs Google Making Us Stupidā€ by Nicholas Carr, taught something about the Internet that I never knew before. It is the way the Internet has the ability and power to actually shape a personā€™s brain, or the way a human thinks. I’ve always seen the Internet as a useful tool, for it would facilitate the way we can communicate and work. Itā€™s amazing how I can find information based on simple, and even deep material in a relatively short period of time, and I can do it from virtually anywhere. If Iā€™m walking outside, at the coffee shop, even at work, I can peruse through an article or look up a definition from my phone. However, according to Nicholas Carr, he stated: ā€œIā€™m not thinking the way I used to think.ā€(PG 1) By this, he was saying that his reading wasnā€™t what it used to be. He mentioned when there was a time it was easy to read a book, or a lengthy article, however he admitted that now, itā€™s a struggle to keep up after reading two or three pages. In addition, he used an illustration to depict the way he read in the past, it was thatĀ of a scuba diver in the sea of words. Now, he likened his reading to that of a guy on a jet ski just zipping along the surface. (PG 2) The point is clear, his reading would be done in a haphazard manner, thus not allowing him to enjoy the surroundings or as he put it, ā€œthe sea of words.ā€ Prior to reading this article, I never knew that the internet could have such an effect.