“Is Google Making Us Stupid” Lens-Exhibit pairing Kiana Fraser-Handel

Nicholas Carr’s article “Is Google Making Us Stupid” is an composition that gives insight of what Carr believes in how the internet is effecting our reading. One use of lens in the article is the “Deep versus Shallow Reading” as shown in his statement “They found that people using the sites exhibited “a form of skimming activity”, hopping from one source to another and rarely returning to any source they’d already visited” (4). This means that people who use the internet do not take the time to fully read an article but instead want to take the short way out by skimming through it. In other words, he believes that the internet is making people lose their focus on any long article they were reading on the web, paralleling his other statement “The more they use the Web, the more they have to fight to stay focused on long pieces of writing”(3). I think his point is generally true as I have seen and personally have done this “shallow reading” as I also tend to lose focus on any long article on the web. In short the internet has made people become less focus and has made them forget how to fully read like how we used to do with books. I believe this Lens-Exhibit pairing will be of interest to a general reader because it would give them something to think about as it can show them how the internet is effecting the way they read and give them insight of how they should use the Net more wisely.