“Is Google Making Us Stupid” Taught me…. Kiana Fraser-Handel

The article “Is Google Making Us Stupid” by Nicholas Carr has taught me that the internet is affecting how we read and concentrate, based on his statement “They found that people using sites exhibited “a form of skimming activity”, hopping from one source to another and rarely returning to any source they’d already visited”(4) . This statement implies that people who use the internet do not take the time and effort to fully read any of the context of the site they were on, but instead they lose their focus and skip through them. To elaborate more, it’s a form of ” Deep versus Shallow Reading”, meaning that deep reading has become a struggle for people to stay focused on, so they end up resorting to skimming through the text. Which supports his previous statement that, “what the Net seems to be doing is chipping away my capacity for concentration and contemplation” (3). This has also showed me that the internet is affecting how our brains work by making us have trouble staying focus on any long article and having us develop a shallow sense of reading by skimming through the articles instead of just taking the time to just fully read them. In other words, Nicholas Carr is implying that the internet is making people forget how to read any sorts of long articles and develop a habit of skipping through the text and losing the concentration we had on them.This has taught me that the use of the internet is not always good and that it can cause you to lose focus on your reading.