Brehene Vice’s “Letter to Dr. King”

Dear Dr.King,

I found your famous “I Have A Dream” to be a major inspiration to me and to many people around the world. Your passion and your ability to use many elements in your writing was very impressive, but what stood out to me and what I found very important was your use of repetition. To me that was very moving because you showed your passion toward the subject at hand which was racial injustice. By you saying “I have A Dream” multiple times showed me that you wanted things to change and wanted things to get better for not only blacks, for people who were going through the same problems(406). Another example of your great use of repetition is toward the end of your speech. The reason why I found this impressive was because this is toward the end and you wanted to leave an impact on the crowd. When you say “Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee! Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi. From every mountainside, let freedom ring.”(408) You really wanted everyone to be free and be able to have the opportunities in life. Also you wanted to spread freedom around the country and make everyone come together no matter the race, or religion.

In your letter from Birmingham Jail, you showed the pain that you were going through, and dealing with racial injustice. In many paragraphs you describe the pain that you went through in the jail. In most of those paragraphs when your describing the suffering that you went through, you used the words “I am” in one paragraph to show that you are in jail due to the discrimination that was was going on.(page 1)