Eportfolio self reflection

This is my self reflection of how I met my clinical objectives. I was assigned to a community clinic associated with a thriving hospital in North Brooklyn.This assignment  helped  me examine my strengths and weaknesses. This I believe will help me to grow both personally and professionally.

Objective 1 Demonstrate individual professionalism through personal behaviors and appearance.

Through out my clinical experience, I maintained client confidentiality, by blocking out the clients personal information, from materials that were given to me as teaching tools. My knowledge of HIPAA law also played a big role in helping  me to maintain client confidentiality. The program director suggested wearing dark slacks and white button shirts to the clinical site. Coincidentally dark bottoms and white tops were the assigned uniform for the nursing staff at the Community Health Center (CHC) in which I was assigned. I therefore tap my outfit off by wearing the school’s lab coat, my ID was visible at all times.  In preparation for my clinical I carried a small note book and pen to make notes, thus assuming responsibility for my own learning experience.  Huddles were held several time during my rotation at the CHC of which I was not only an active listener but I actively participated by sharing my knowledge on various subject area. Being on time is of great importance in the real world, so getting to my clinical site was no exception, my journey to the site was a long one but I made it on time every time.

Objective 2 Employ analytical and critical thinking skills when providing care to individuals and families in the community setting.

Critical thinking is the most important tool a nurse can possess. A nurse’s ability to critically think is not just limited to inpatient setting, one must be able to think critically no matter what setting. At the CHC the clients list was different from week to week. I have had the opportunity to work with some of  the same clients more than once. This allowed me to access the clients medical records which are documented electronically.  Most of the clients at the center are Hispanic, some spoke no English others spoke minimal English, I had use an  interrupter in some cases  to effectively communicate with the clients. Because of the out patient setting as oppose to an inpatient setting I was not able to do a hands on physical assessment. However, by looking at the physical appearance of the clients I was able to get a quick mental picture of how well the clients take care of themselves. I administered medications mostly injections, e:g influenza vaccines and insulin. I did this safely wearing the proper protective equipments, to ensure both my safety and the client’s safety. In cases where insulin was administered, clients were then re-evaluated and their care was modify as per MD order.

Objective 3 Effectively communicate with diverse groups and disciplines using a variety of strategies regarding the health and needs of individuals and families in the community setting.

Effective communication is an important aspect of being a nurse. The nurse must be able to effectively communicate with the clients to establish trust. At the CHC most of the client spoke Spanish. To effectively communicate with them the use of an interrupter was a must. Several of the employee spoke Spanish as well so they were readily available to help. However the CHC is also equipped with the cyrocom phone,( a service where there are interrupter from around the world readily available by dialing zero and requesting your specific language.) I find it very useful for me. My instructor was not at my site every week but we communicated in her absent in a way that was effective for both of us. Documenting was done accurately with the guidance of the head nurse and the other staff members involved.

Objective 4 Establish environment conducive to learning and use a plan for learners based on evidence-based practice.

Having the right environment, makes learning easier, for everyone involve. At the CHC there is an array of literature in both English and Spanish on many different topics. Group teaching was done, but individual teaching was done. Most teaching was done on Diabetes, since it appears to be the major health disparity amongst the clients. I learn a lot from the clients as well.

Objective 5 Utilize information technology when managing individual and families in the community

Computers are a way of life for the society in which we live  today. At the CHC computers are the number one source of obtaining information, and documenting clients care. Each staff members had their own pass word, so information are available on a need to know bases thus maintaining client’s confidentiality.

Objective 6 Demonstrate a commitment to professional development.

At the CHC there was an array of literature both in Spanish and English. This made it easy to plan client’s care, and provide them with current information. I have never engaged in a self evaluation but I am aware of my strengths and weaknesses. Commitment is very important to being a nurse. A nurse must be committed to personal, and professionally goal by keeping abreast with the newest evidence based practices, as well as commitment to providing quality care to the clients. I was asked if  I would like to work as a community health nurse I quickly said yes but am still pondering the question.

Objective 7 Incorporate professional nursing standards and accountability into practice.

The American Nurses Association Standards, call for adherence to the clinical standards of practice by the register nurse. A the CHC I complied with the facility’s policies. I took responsibility for my actions. I read the facility’s mission statements on my day at the clinical site, and during my rotation I tried to operate with the mission statement in mind, by providing quality care to each client without bias.

Objective 8 Collaborate with the clients, significant support persons and members of the health care.

Collaboration was done among the other staff members. Clients health care needs were address and clients were referred appropriately for follow up care. During planned care reinforcement teaching were done, on diet exercise, compliance to prescribe medications, importance of keeping follow up appointments. At times therapeutic interventions were used.

Objective 9 Recognize the impact of economic, political, social and demographic forces that affect the delivery of health care services. With the constant changes in the health care system, with the closing of hospital, the economic impact of health care delivery is had to miss, (job loss).  Social impact, closing of senior centers, has a devastating social  impact on the seniors who look forward to going to the centers daily. For many the only friends that they have are the ones that they socialize with at the centers. As a nurse it is hard to keep up with the changes in medicaid/medicare and health insurance coverages. It is therefore our responsibilities as health care provides to stay inform, educate our clients, help them to make the right choices, and work together with other disciplinary, i:e social workers, in advocating appropriate health care resources.