Statement of Beliefs/Nursing Philosophy

Philosophy is a set of ethical principles that help people make certain decisions. Philosophy is a significant part in a person life. I feel that it cannot be separated from who we are as people and also should be a major part in our profession.  My philosophy of Nursing is the act of caring for a person’s wellbeing by making optimal decisions that will help them to reach good health. It is important for nurses to understand the reason why they do what they do.  It is especially important during stressful moments. I feel that characteristics such as compassion, good communication skills, caring, empathic and understanding are good values that nurses should have. Nursing should be about the care that is carried out for the patient and their family.  As a nurse, I see myself fulfilling my purpose and dedicating my services to God by caring for others.  A theory that I look up in my nursing career is Jean Watson’s theory of care. It focuses on the patient as a whole and all aspect of their life is incorporated into the care.