SE 2013

SELF EVALUATION, Karen Goodlad, Assistant Professor, 2013

“I Made a Difference”

Thinking about this past year I think about how I made a difference. How I worked with faculty, with students with industry professions and how in each way I made difference.

I Made a Difference in the Classroom, Walt Disney World College Program

One of the most rewarding student journals I read this year was written by a student currently participating in the Walt Disney World College Program (WDWCP) internship. The journal is posted to the course OpenLab site, https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/wdwcollegeprograms12/2013/03/19/journal-8/.

What made the journal entry significant was that while participating in the WDWCP the student, Victoria, was being mentored by a graduate from City Tech who, just four years earlier, was herself an intern with The Walt Disney Company. This journal entry marks the development in two of our student’s careers. Victoria’s journal reflects on a recent recognition she received at work, which is something to be proud of and at the same time reflects on her mentor’s progression from student, to intern, to management trainee and finally manager. The progression of our students is simply amazing! They are making a difference everyday as well and as the WDWCP faculty advisor I know these difference will help develop them as future industry leaders.

This is just one example of how lives are changed with this internship, in the spring of 2013 the acceptance levels for the WDWCP have increased dramatically and there will be 10 students studying with the Walt Disney Company in the fall of 2013 (double the number this semester and last).

I Made a Difference in the Classroom, Wines of the World wine blending session

As captured on the Wines of the New World OpenLab site, https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/wines-of-the-new-world/, students learned firsthand by blending base wine from City Winery that a varietal name on a wine label is only one indication of how a wine might taste. Through place based learning and collaboration, each student began to understand that wine makers have thousands of decisions to make in order to create a wine that is enjoyable and marketable.

Students were provided one base one, four blending wines and utilized their imagination, creativity, dedication, intelligence, knowledge of wine and teamwork in order to create a wine with a certain taste profile. The wine created by each team was fantastic because each group worked together through the scientific process in order to produce a wine that was complex, may it have been fruit forward or spicy and full bodied. Working in teams can often be challenging but during this class session it seemed to only enhance the experience. Students chose a style they wanted to create and then experimented with the various blends to create the style they wanted.

This project made a real difference in the student’s understanding of winemaking. The project was a collaboration with the Julia Child Foundation who provided the funding, City Winery who produced the base wine, Lynda Dias from the Hospitality Management Department and Roger Dagorn, part-time faculty member and Master Sommelier resulted in a Cabernet Sauvignon wine. “City Tech Selection”, as it has been named, is being served in the Janet Lefler Dining room in the spring and fall of 2013. The results of this project will continue to make a lasting difference in the lives of HMGT students as they learn how their peers collaborated to create the wine they are serving in the Janet Lefter Dining Room.

I Made a Difference in the College

As the Living Lab Co-director of General Education I have found that making a difference can happen across the college through leading the Living Lab Fellows through a series of workshops and helping the faculty find opportunities for scholarship.

Helping across Grant initiatives in the college, it was a pleasure to share my experience incorporating place base learning into my teaching with the faculty from the University of Hawaii, KCC. This I-Cubed initiative also provided a chance for Living Lab Fellows to share their practices with the visiting faculty

I made a Difference in the College, Honors Scholars Etiquette Luncheon

What has come to be a highlight of my semester is presenting a workshop for the students in Honors Scholors. The dining etiquette luncheon is always a well attended, high energy workshop of dedicated students interested in improving their understanding of etiquette and manners at the dinner table.

It is a pleasure to work with the future industry leaders from across the college as they practice the networking skills, business etiquette and table manners. They leave with comfort knowing that when it is their time to dine for business they will make a positive lasting impression.

In the Community

As a member of the Board of Directors of Les Dames d’Escoffier, an organization for female leaders in fine food, beverage and hospitality, I have taken the role of Co-chairperson of the scholarship committee. Immediately changes were instituted saving the organization approximately $1000.00 by converting the application and selection process to an electronic format. In addition, as this time the scholarship funds have increase since last  year, with a final amount to be determined in May of 2013 and estimated at $60,000

The scholarship make a difference in the lives of students from colleges in the tri-state area in such diverse learning institutions as Kingsboro Community College to Cornell University. Each woman awarded has a bright future ahead of them, and now with financial support and a mentor, a better chance to make a big difference in their chosen career.