PHILOSOPHY

I became fascinated with nursing when I was nine years old and a patient in the hospital. The nurses were kind, gentle, caring and compassionate; they left a lasting impression on me. As I grew older and learned more about the role and responsibilities of nurses I was convinced that nursing is my calling. I made many stops on the way, I become a wife, a mother and a care taker. These responsibilities helped prepare me for my role as a nurse. The values and beliefs instilled in me are what guide me; the belief that “we must treat others the way we want to be treated” is my mantra.

The nature of nursing is something that cannot be simplified to one word or phrase. Nursing is more than a profession; it is more than treating those who are ill, rather it is a model of care and service to others, and it is continually evolving. The nature of nursing revolves around commitment to public service and an undeniable desire to help those in need. It is my belief that crucial aspects of nursing include the prevention of illness, the treatment of disease holistically, and the promotion of health while caring for clients. Caring is to acknowledge what is important to the patient and doing my best as nurse to accommodate them.

I believe that in order to be competent as a nurse education is key. Continual education regards issues related to patient care is very important. Through continued research a wealth of information is available on how to care for our clients. It is important to stay abreast with current research as nursing continues to evolve. For me nursing is more than just a career; it is a privilege to use my knowledge and skills to help those who are unable to help themselves. My endeavor is to strengthen my personal and professional life through continued learning. I am determined to maintain my spiritual and moral beliefs while ethically caring for my clients.