Philosophy About Nursing

My philosophy is based on nurses having a responsibility to provide safe, competent, compassionate, holistic, and patient centered care.  Remember that patients are not room numbers or medical conditions, but individuals that need and deserve individualized care.  We must empower patients by encouraging them to become active in their own care.  Nurses must educate patients and their families on diseases, treatments, and healthy behaviors to improve their outcomes.  It is the belief that each individual no matter what disease, race, or economic status they have will get treated with the highest regards to compassion.  I believe that the very core of nursing is to maintain a good relationship with my patient, to be a patient advocate and to treat every human being with dignity and respect.  Patient respect, advocacy, honesty and privacy are four factors that are important in the healthcare setting.  As a nurse, I will always continue learning not only from journals and textbooks, but from interactions with other members of the healthcare team and most importantly from patients.  My vision for myself as a nurse is to remember to always promote health and wellness.