Ethics in Graphic Design: Part 2

Unsplash Photo by Austin Distel

(2A) I feel that as a designer we will always evolve as designers in general. The knowledge from the readings were refreshing to read and had some valid points such as AIGA’s reading the Use of Illustration. The very paragraph points out something I must always do as a challenge with is creating drawings that transcend the writing of words. As an illustrator I can relate to that due to the fact that just because I am not going to be there to explain every detail of my drawing and stories, the execution of the illustration should always explain everything I am trying to say without speaking. But whether photography, illustration, or videography I always credit all information to the source by adding a footnote below the image or link in my process books. As a hand lettering artist I have to not only be sure to source the font types I illustrate for example font type circus but must be careful I am not copying an art style that will lead to someone taking action. Hand lettering is fun but like all forms of design you may credit the style and make sure you are doing nothing affecting others. As always being ethical is important to the work.     

(2B) In the Fairey Copyright case I felt the decision of legal action was necessary because of all the complications Shepard Fairey created. For one he plead guilty in admitting that he destroyed documented and then created his own documents to hide the proof of him having used a certain “Associated Press photograph of Mr. Obama as the source of his well-known “Hope” campaign poster.” These things are in direct violation of what we are as designers, which is to uphold a quality of ethics and etiquette. His actions to cover it up only proves why it was necessary to take legal actions. You only prolonged everything by lying only to still prove you were guilty. He affected multiple people in the matter and prevented the right individuals from being compensated. Though everything was legally handle this very unprofessional to do in the world.

Source: https://archive.nytimes.com/artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/shephard-fairey-is-fined-and-sentenced-to-probation-in-hope-poster-cas