Ethics in Graphic Design: Part 1

Unsplash Photo Cytonn Photography

(1A) Ethics is not only part of our profession as designers but the guidelines that lead to proper execution of protecting you and the things you create for your clients. Making sure all parties involved are protected is the driving purpose of ethics. Among other things it shows the level of professional that you one lives up to as they network to build a reputation in the industry. If ethics aren’t followed they can lead into a series of things not only affecting your reputation but also might offend people and cultures. 

(1B) Where I am currently interning we source our images by our own photography. When the images and video require models we hand them a form to fill out. The form is an agreement they must fill out for their approval; they have no problem with pictures or recorded footage of them being used by the public educational organization. In the AIGA’s reading A Client’s Guide to Design speaks on the standard of professional practice. They address the designers’ responsibility to the client, which I had to in making sure the work I designed was in the company’s best interest without creating conflicts to any projects. All things were all known to my supervisor’s knowledge and only edited unless he wanted that done. The reading addresses a designer’s responsibility to other designers. I made sure when sourcing any photos or images the original designer or photographer were credited for their work.

Source: AIGA A Client’s Guide to Design: How to Get More Out of The Process