Project Description

Block printing is a traditional technique that transforms fabric into a canvas of intricate, hand-stamped patterns. Each product is meticulously crafted using hand-carved wooden blocks, which are dipped in natural dyes and pressed onto the fabric to create beautiful, repeat designs. This artisanal process ensures that every piece has its own unique charm, embodying the heritage and craftsmanship of this centuries-old art form.

Reflection

For my block printing project, I drew inspiration from watercolor paintings on my Pinterest board. While researching, I stumbled upon several artworks featuring Koi fish, lily pads, and Japan. I loved the aesthetics of this art and decided to incorporate it into my project. I created two colorways. For the first, I used navy blue as the background and orange for the Koi fish. For the second, I opted for a turquoise background and black Koi fish. The lily pad was magenta in this colorway. Initially, I had planned to use a navy blue background with gold Koi fish and magenta lily pads. However, I realized that the dark background and light blue color block would not show up well. So, I switched to orange with navy blue to make it stand out more. To begin the project, I took 2 yards of cotton fabric and pinned it down on the board. Since my fabric was too wide, I cut it into two separate pieces, each a yard long. I wanted to create a water-inspired background, so I crumpled a piece of paper and used it to stamp on the fabric, creating a ripple effect. I also used another piece of paper to protect my hands from the paint. Then, I used my Koi fish block and arranged it in a brick repeat method, so it wouldn’t be too overwhelming. I only printed lily pads on the bottom of each Koi fish to avoid making it too crowded. I left the fabric to dry overnight, and this was the final result.

Additional Images