Community Health Blog Post 2

This is my second post regarding my clinical experience at Masaryk towers. In my clinical we have begun doing home visits for some of the more elderly clients. It is an enjoyable experience as a large part of my work is visiting the homes of my clients. We discussed the importance of assessing the residences of our clients as it allows us to gauge how they live and what kinds of services they need. We’ve seen one of the elderly residents’ residence and she was living in what can be mildly described as a chaotic mess. Her medications were disorganized, there was a smell throughout the apartment and the clothes in general were in a mess. It was discouraging to see the situation in which she lives in. She clearly needed assistance, but declined.

It is one of the main issues in community nursing. Clients really want to live independently in their own homes but decline the assistance that would allow them to do so. Unfortunately there is little we can do but offer these services, make their availability and educate our clients on their importance.