Introduction

Hello! My name is Hyein Jang and I am a Dental Hygiene student at the New York City College of Technology. I will be graduating in June 2023. I graduated from New York City College of Technology with a bachelor’s in Hospitality Management in 2016. I love cooking and wanted to become a chef however, working in the kitchen for 50 hrs a week was less fun than I thought. One day, my sister, who is a nurse, recommended I go to medical school. I loved the idea of helping people so I eagerly researched different medical fields. A friend of mine was studying dental hygiene and recommended I apply for the dental hygiene program. While looking into the program I realized that dental hygiene suits me very well; I love how each case is unique, how hands-on we are, and my friend told me it feels good when calculus is removed from teeth. I can now say firsthand that she was right.
Going into the dental hygiene program I thought I knew a lot about oral hygiene. That was certainly far from the truth, in two years I went from knowing to brush twice a day to being able to identify all of the germs that are detrimental to our oral health-and I know how to prevent them from growing. The DH program also introduced me to some wonderful professors and to some of my closest friends, I will always look back at these past two years fondly for introducing me to my lifelong friends. The program has also given me the excellent opportunity of treating patients and I can’t wait to meet new people whom I can help after I graduate. Aiding and teaching my patients makes me feel very fulfilled and confident that I chose the right career.