Ethics Assignment Part 2

image by FREEPIK

A: Reflection on Past Use of Creative Works

In my past design projects, there have been instances where I used creative works by other artists. At the time, I did my best to give proper credit by including the artist’s name and a link to their portfolio or original work. However, the AIGA readings have highlighted areas where I could improve. For example, I have learned the importance of obtaining explicit permission from the artist, even for works that are freely available online, to ensure that I am not infringing on their rights. Moving forward, I am committed to being more diligent in seeking permissions and providing comprehensive attribution.

B: Opinion on the Fairey Copyright Case

The Fairey Copyright case, which involved artist Shepard Fairey and his use of an Associated Press photograph for the iconic “Hope” poster of Barack Obama, presents a complex intersection of art, copyright, and fair use. Fairey argued that his use of the photograph fell under fair use, as he had transformed the image significantly. However, the case highlighted issues of copyright infringement and the boundaries of fair use.

In my opinion, the arguments in the case reflect the ongoing tension between creative freedom and intellectual property rights. While Fairey’s transformation of the photograph added significant artistic value and context, it is also crucial to recognize the rights of the original photographer and the Associated Press. The settlement reached, where both parties agreed to share the rights to the image, seems a fair outcome that acknowledges the contributions of both the original creator and the transformative artist.

“Shepard Fairey Is Fined and Sentenced to Probation in ‘Hope’ Poster Case” BY RANDY KENNEDY

“Use of Photography” AIGA. (2001). PDF. New York City; Richard GrefĂ©, AIGA.

“A Client’s Guide to Design: How to Get the Most Out of the Process” AIGA. (2001). PDF. New York City; Richard GrefĂ©, AIGA.