Learning Self-Analysis

I received my Associate’s Degree in Nursing, as I’ve mentioned, back in 2005. At that time, I don’t think I ever entertained the idea of heading back to school, at least not for the Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing. I figured, especially having received a Bachelor’s in Sociology, that eventually I would go back for a graduate degree at some point, but plans were vague, and it wasn’t anything I necessarily invested that much stock into.

Once I moved to New York, it was clear that I had to obtain a BSN for several structural reasons. I’ll be honest, even at that point, it was still more a sense of needing this degree, rather than wanting it. “Great, another couple of years, and for what? So I can be doing what I’m already doing now.” Needless, to say, the excitement of reenrolling back in school was less than thrilling.

But things took a pleasantly surprising turn in attitudes for me. Having gone through the program, from the very first semester in January 2013, and now graduating this May of 2014, this collective experience has been unspeakably valuable.

The program was nothing like I anticipated it to be. It wasn’t about learning technical nursing skills that I had refined throughout my eight years of nursing experience, but it opened my eyes to the possibilities beyond bedside nurse, which to be honest, was something that I never entertained, or was even thought was in the realm of grasp for me. I never thought to look up, I only knew to look straight.

Though all the classes I took during this program had enormous value to me, but the one semester that irrefutably changed my perspective on my nursing future was the Leadership course. I had clinicals at Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn, and lecture in the evening with Professor Dopwell. At my clinical site, I had the opportunity to follow two managers: one in the cardiac ICU, and another in Perioperative Services. I even had the opportunity to interview the Vice President of Perioperative Services, Carol Kidney, which in hindsight, was the point at which my attitudes and beliefs started to shift. Carol was so incredibly charismatic and dynamic in handling her day to day responsibilities and in her abilities to communicate so effortlessly with her employees, that most times in her presence, I just just struck with awe and admiration. She was meticulous, efficient, and respectful for everyone who worked underneath her. I admired her greatly, as she was a woman, in a position typically dominated by men, and she handled her position with such grace and authority, that she almost single-handedly flipped, rewired, and magnified the professional goals I held for myself.

When I say almost regarding Carol King, it is because another large part of that change in views was attributed to Professor Dopwell. Mind you, this was a summer clinical in the thick of June, where lectures were three hours each class held right after clinicals, FIVE. DAYS. A. WEEK. Professor Dopwell taught that class with such vigor and enthusiasm, backed with real life experiences, that three hours seemed like fifteen minutes. I learned so many life lessons through her own personal and professional experiences — both triumphs and pitfalls — that without which, I don’t know that I’d be thinking about advancing my degree at all. Whether she realizes it or not, but I’ve elected her to be my mentor; and unfailingly so, at any point in need, she’s always guided and pushed me in the direction she knew I was capable of. She saw in me potential that I never actually believed I had. And for that, I will forever be indebted to her.

In the end, from the start of the program, until the end, my views have completely changed, in a way that I could never anticipated. If it wasn’t for this program, I would not have the privilege of meeting such incredibly bold and dynamic women in the field. I was taught to aim higher and shoot farther. Had it not been for these people who believed in my potential, something that I still struggle with now, I would have remained complacent in my professional and personal goals in life. They touched upon an unrecognized potential and invigorated my spirit.