Steph Balloqui’s ePortfolio

Steph Balloqui’s ePortfolio
This ePortfolio is OPEN.
Communication Design
Portfolio Description

Hello! My name is Steph Balloqui. I’m a 23 year old COMD student at City Tech and a freelance visual artist. I like film, vampires, and going to museums and shows. I draw, paint, edit, and digitally altar eccentric art for those people who love oddity and horror just a little too much (like me)!

I grew up surrounded by art. My dad spent the late 70s and early 80s working for artists such as Louise Nevelson and Andy Warhol, and I loved hearing stories about how their creative process worked- so it wasn’t surprising when I started drawing at four years old. I was in the art program in high school but focused more on performance art and art history, and never expected to pursue a career in art, originally attending mortuary school. I picked up art as a possible serious career after having to leave mortuary school for health reasons, and spent all my free time falling in love with design.

My art is a combination of abstract expressionism and surrealism, with hypnagogic influences, and I style my art after how messy and chaotic children can draw. I create art that’s meant to look uncomfortable and off-putting while also containing heavy tones of black humor. My biggest artistic influences are Jhonen Vasquez, Andy Warhol, Stephen Gammell, Gerald Scarfe, and Ernst Ludwig Kirchner.

I aspire to become a freelance designer/illustrator one day, and to incorporate dark themes, uncomfortable truths of life, and black humor into advertisements, editorials, illustrations, political cartoons, and other examples of everyday design.

babysatansbdayparty.carrd.co

Member Profile

777

777- acrylic and mixed media on a 11 x 13 canvas. In the comic book series Johnny The […] See More777

BLOODCLOT

BLOODCLOT- a painting consisting of acrylic paint, flowers, candlewax, and a little human […] See MoreBLOODCLOT

No Comments Found