LNG1100-OL51-SU2020

NANA DEI SAKYI
DR.LUBIE G. ALATRISTE
LNG 1100
JUNE 15, 2020

Appendix/linguistic recording

My friend and she she about 24 years old. She is from Ghana and a student of NYU
1. My friend will sometime roll her eyes when she is not pleased with something I say or do. we were having an argument about a soccer game and we would go back and forth with each other with facts explaining why my team is better than hers.She will constantly roll her eyes when I made my valid points and she will keep doing this till I’m done making my points.

2. My friend will also sometime look me in the eye in a weird way and I automatically know that she is warning me about what I just did. so when I say something about her team that she found to be offensive and she will show her displease by looking at me in a weird way. she does not look at me for long. it last for only a few seconds then she will continue to listen to me as I made my points about why my team is better than hers

My mother and she is about 55 years old.  She is from Ghana

1. My mother will get annoyed when she calls you by your name and you reply with “WHAT”.A friend came to visit me and my mom called him by the his name and he responded with “WHAT”.My mom took  it as an act of disrespect, and I had to explain it to her that my friend was not trying to disrespect her, and it is just the way some people respond when they are called here in the USA. I understood her in the sense that when you do that in our native language it is considered to be disrespectful and, in my culture, disrespect is frown upon.
  2.  My mother will sometimes threaten you with a smile on her face.this past weekend my mother asked me to go do grocery and When I refused, she went ahead and said, “so you won’t do what I asked?”. This is a simple question and she normally would ask such questions with a smile and that alone gives it off as a threat and it forces me to do what she wants me to do. the fear of not knowing what she will do to me makes me go do the groceries

Paper

In every culture, some aspects of communication are verbal and other non-verbal. One may something and it will be taken a certain way. It all depends on the context in which it will be taken by the listener. Cross-cultural behavior is a form of communicating with someone be it by hand gesture, eyes, the eyebrows. We all have ways of communicating with one another and its call can be individualized or as a result of the culture, we find ourselves in. cross-cultural behaviors can lead to miscommunication of ideas especially when they listen and do not understand the behavior the gestures that the person speaker makes to convey their ideas.

In an observation that I made while in the United States of America, there is not a set standard was of starting a conversation with someone you may or may not know. For example, in Ghana, people are greeted based on status in the community and also the time of the day, and the follow-up question is a question that an elaborate answer is expected. When greeting a royal (King, Queen, Prince, etc.), it is polite for you to bow. Also, after greeting, and a question like “how is your family?” is asked some sort of details is required when answering. You cannot just brush it off. It will be considered to be rude.

Also, I was talking to my friend and I realize that when I say something impolite, she looks at me in a certain way or she will just say the word “YOU” and would not say a thing, but I will know exactly what she is trying to tell me. She will just look at me in a manner that I cannot describe for at most two seconds and then move on as nothing happened. If someone were to be paying attention while that was going on one might not understand what all that was about. Being able to communicate with someone non-verbally I will say comes with the relationship you have with the person. I realized she is not the only one that does look at someone in a certain way as a way of warning them my mom and sister also do that, and I cannot seem to figure out why they all use that means to warn me especially when there is company.

Also, my friend when she talks sounds loud and one might think she is angry but that is not the issue. It is just her way of making sure that she is heard and understood. As she speaks, she uses a high pitch voice on keywords in the sentences that she makes. At first, it can be annoying that she is always emphasizing some words as she speaks. It is unusual for someone to always emphasize words are they speak and this behavior of her can lead to someone who does not know that it is her natural way of making use that whatever she is saying is being heard and understood. I am sure she is not aware of how she sounds to people.

Also, she will normally roll her eyes as a way of showing when she is not pleased with something I say or do. Or when she needs my attention, she will simply tap me just so my attention is drawn to her.
During my observations, I noticed that my mom will normally threaten me just like most mothers will do by not saying anything but just her facial expression. She will say something like “won’t you do what I asked?”. This is just a simple question that she will ask. When I refuse, she will go ahead and say, “so you won’t do what I asked?”. This is also another simple question and she normally asks such questions with a smile and that alone gives it off as a threat and it forces me to do what she wants me to do. When we get company and she does that the people do not understand why she re-ask her questions with a smile. Weirdly, she does that but we that like with her know what she means.

My mother will get angry at anyone that she will call them by their name, and they respond to do her with “what”. She will take it as an act of disrespect, and I will have to explain it to her that the person is not trying to disrespect her, and it is just the way some people respond when there are called here in the USA. I understand her in the sense that when you do that in our native language it is considered to be disrespectful and, in my culture, disrespect is frown upon.

How we communicate with those around us be it verbal or non-verbal all depends on the type of relationship we have with the person. And also, the context of what we are communicating. A form of gesture will communicate a different idea to someone and that might not be the actual message that we are trying to send to them especially when it has to do with people from different cultures.

Tags:

Comment display has been disabled on this doc.

Comment posting has been disabled on this doc.