HUS 3605 Child Welfare and Family Services, SPRING 2018

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Major Federal Laws on child welfare

Gretta
    Participant

Julia
    Participant

The generation in which we live has to suffer due to disrespect to the laws and authorities at all levels of hierarchy. The human being finds it somewhat difficult to accept that there are laws and people vested with a certain degree of authority to enforce those laws. Therefore, the history of humanity is marked by unscrupulous people who prefer to reveal themselves against that order established from the beginning by God.
    Because of the many abuses especially to children and adolescents by their parents and other times by people close to them, the government has had to create all those laws that protect our children from so many perversity and cruelty by adults, who are often entrusted with the care of these children.
    Thank God for those laws that exist, although in many cases they are not fulfilled as they should anyway thanks God for the laws that protect children, without those laws this nation could not protect children. I believe that our duty is to ensure that these laws are strengthen and enforce.

Samantha
    Participant

Major federal laws on child welfare

I think that the child sex trafficking law is extremely important and should be pratice to the fullest extent. There are a number of cases with children’s who go missing on a daily Basics . It almost seems as if no one cares, only for the fact that every time you turn on the news there is a missing child . Yes some are Runaways, but I also believe that there is a great majority that have been abducted. Yet, unfortunately is being forced into such a lifestyle of sex trafficking. I recall reading an article from The New York Times and there were these two women who had told their stories in regards to sex trafficking, and how ultimately they became victims at the very place they call home Manhattan. I think that when a child goes missing that you know it is unfair that you cannot report them missing until 48 hours . within those hours they could be taking and put into sex trafficking . I think that there should be something done with the time frame in which you can report someone as missing instead of 48 hours. In regards to children in foster care when they are put in homes that they are not satisfied with and unhappy and feel unsafe they do run away . And it’s not safe because now they may be forced into a lifestyle of sex trafficking.

Kharyn Benjamin
    Participant

The laws put into place for child welfare is good thing because this protects children. As Samantha stated in her post, we see that children are being abducted or missing and it can’t be reported until after 48 hours. Within these 48 hours children could’ve played victim to sex trafficking. I saw a law that helps protect children who are in foster care which was the Preventing Sex Trafficking and Strengthening Families Act. This stood out because children in the foster care system are vulnerable and can be higher risk of sex trafficking which is nice that the Act tries to strengthen families through adoption and provide incentives. When they have missing persons report regarding children there should be a 24 hour reporting not after 48hours because many things can occur within a day and the goal is to protect children.

ShereeMiller
    Participant

The government can be a bit hard but the laws that they created are really helpful for us and the children. If these laws weren’t in the act a lot of people would take advantage and the world would’ve of been upside down. This is to show you that they care about our children however, the laws should be more strict. For instance foster parents who adopt children. They should be able to do a background check on the foster parents, check up on them every day to make sure they are okay. These kids should see a counselor so they can be comfortable, less fear and that way they will find out if these kids are having any troubles, or facing any challenges and being neglect or abuse in these foster care homes. Lastly, the 48hr reporting if a child is missing. I disagree with that. they should have at least create a system others could get in touch or directly to a person within a second. Also, they should respond to a missing child right away.

Odalys Cortes
    Participant

Laws they have for child welfare are things people had to advocacy for and even though the laws are their doesn’t mean that it doesn’t need improvement. Like Preventing Sex trafficking and Strengthening Families act is important because we live in a generation where a lot of kids are vulnerable and can have risk factors to be victimize of sex trafficking. Sex trafficking can be cause for different reason like children running away from DMV households or even family selling kids, being in the foster system and not having a stable living environment etc. can make kids vulnerable. Kids go missing all the times and to wait for 48 hours to actually be able to report it can be too long. Also the Patient Protection and affordable care act should be improve, its good that kids in the foster system get health insurance until they age out but I feel like everyone should have the right to affordable care and shouldn’t get penalize if they can’t pay for health insurance like they have the past 2-3 years. You basically have to be poor in order to receive Medicaid if you make a few dollars above their gross income and household income.

Zerica
    Participant

Some of the laws that the government put in place are not as effective as they ought to. There are still too many children suffering under these laws especially Child Sex Trafficking and Child and Family Services Improvement. Why are there still so many children been abused by families and still so many children been sold for sex? These are serious issues contrary to the law. How can a program identifies which population are at greater risk of maltreatment. You have rich families, middle class families, and poor families they all maltreat their children if they want to. I can understand that thee must be some laws in place to protects these little innocent lives. However, I just think that there should be better measure to prevent these cruel act from happening. Some children in the Foster care system are more vulnerable to maltreatment even though the law is there to protect them, at the same time a number of people who get into foster care do it because of the money and not the love for the children. Most of these laws are very helpful, they have their advantages even though I think that some of them need to modify or go back to the drawing board. Overall, some of these lase really keep people in their place.

Sasure
    Participant

All of the laws stated in the article are very important for the protection of children. To know that we have come a long way from animals having abuse protection rights before children to many laws being put in place for children is a huge accomplishment that continues to grow. With that being said, there are a lot of laws that need to be updated and the structure of those laws reconsidered perhaps. These laws are helpful but could always improve so that the best interest for the child is intact. Since a lot of the power for making these laws are from the States, I think its important for the community to get involved and give suggestions to how these laws can be improved. But too often we see that something tragic has to happen in order for laws to be changed. Such events shouldn’t have to happen in order for change to come about.

Jorge Perez
    Participant

It is unfortunate that some children experience trauma during their childhood, and it’s really sad that some people have the guts to hurt an innocent child. The Child Welfare system is doing a great job advocating for more protection, funding, and other alternatives for children that experienced child abuse, neglect, sexual abuse, and human trafficking. When I was reviewing the timeline for the major federal legislation that were implemented over concerns with child welfare, protection, and adoption, I noticed from 1974 to 2015 many laws were passed to strengthen families, protect children, and provide a safety supervision for children under foster care and adoption. What I found alarming throughout the years the negative experience for children did not stop as the laws were enforced , but on the contrary the abuse on children evolved to human trafficking. Children are vulnerable and are easily taken advantage of, so the government needs to continue to monitor the safety of children, and intervene and prevent any form of child abuse. I believe the child welfare system needs to continue with the same urgency every year for child safety, and throughout the years they have proven they’re able to adapt with time and the presenting problems.

Nicole
    Participant

The Federal legislation branch have shaped child protective services. I’m surprise to learn the the Acts have not been around for longer. However the Acts have came a far way in protecting the safety and well being of children and families. It appears once the need to have services to protect children more was aware of the needs and areas to assist where more understood. It can be suggest by the Acts added over the years. Based on the last for trafficking children it can be suggested as well. Seems like child services with more time the federal legislation branch will learn how to improve further since it is a learning process they been around just a few generations and times are changing.

Ivory Chavis
    Participant

After reviewing some of the laws and acts that were put in place to protect children from maltreatment, I noticed that there are so many different acts in place to protect children but there are still children who are being abused or neglected. I am aware that there are cases where adults or professionals have intervened to help but what about the children who “slip through the cracks”? Those children would be considered vulnerable and there needs to be a better system put in place that can help children who may slip through the cracks, even children who are currently in the system. We, as a society, have definitely come a long way in regards to improving and protecting the well being of children. But there are also improvements that can help advance federal legislation regarding protecting children from maltreatment.

Egzona Dedushi
    Participant

The fact that we need to have such laws put into play is really sad. The idea that there has to be laws to show people that treating a defenseless child poorly is bad. I know that the maltreatment will continue no matter what laws are enforced. It still upsets me knowing that there is people who do not understand that children are not the root of their problems and that treating a young child, that cant defend themselves, is disgusting. I am also very surprised that the sex trafficking act came into play not too long ago. How was it not an issue before?

Kaitsee
    Participant

Having laws that can protect child is very important but we have to make sure that people are following the laws/acts. Having the laws are good but we have to make sure they are secured. I always believe children are the future and we have to make sure that they are being taken care of weather it’s by their parents, a foster home or adopted families. Each act is there to protect and prevent bad to continue happening. It amazes that you would think as years go by things would get better with children but they aren’t. You hear so many stories of children being hurt and abused by their own families in which why having these act to protect them is great. It’s sad to know and see that there has to be so many acts in place but it is helpful. The state needs to continue to enforce these laws for the well being of the children. We want to continue to protecting children.

Aszina
    Participant

All of the Major federal state laws reguarding children are important. The law Bout the 48 hrs to report a missing child i kind of dont agree with i feel that if these laws are in place for the best interest of the child you should be able to report your child missing with in a coulpe of hrs not being able to reach them. Alot can happen in 48 hrs.They say when a child is obducted the first 48 hrs are crucial. Im glad our system has advanced so much from only animals being protected. Children should have always had rights. Even though there are lots of laws around child services i dont feel all of them are being followed because the child welfare system is still failing our children. when laws are properly follwed things become much more better.

Aszina
    Participant

All of the Major federal state laws reguarding children are important. The law out the 48 hrs to report a missing child i kind of dont agree with i feel that if these laws are in place for the best interest of the child you should be able to report your child missing with in a coulpe of hrs not being able to reach them. Alot can happen in 48 hrs.They say when a child is obducted the first 48 hrs are crucial. Im glad our system has advanced so much from only animals being protected. Children should have always had rights. Even though there are lots of laws around child services i dont feel all of them are being followed because the child welfare system is still failing our children. when laws are properly follwed things become much more better.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.