HUS 1203, Fall 2017

• Tracey's Professional Essay
  • #45469

Tmoisset

Tracey Moisset
    HUS 1203
    Dr. Abdur-Rahman
    Professional Essay
    My name is Tracey Moisset. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York by my amazing parents who migrated from the country of Haiti. I am a proud student at New York City College of Technology in the pursuit of obtaining a Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services. Being raised in Brooklyn, I witnessed a lot of drug abuse, domestic abuse, gun violence, and parents losing their kids to the streets. You name it, I’ve seen it all. Unfortunately, I’ve personally lost a few of my friends and family members to the heinous acts of the streets. Growing up around all that nonsense and also becoming a mother shaped me to be a better me and to not let my surroundings define the person I am today and the person I am becoming. I vowed to walk a straight path, to be a great example for my child and the people in my community, and to not fall in with the wrong crowd. I would like to give you a better understanding of who I am and why a position in the Human Services field is my calling and reason in life.
    A career in the field of Human Services will allow me to be an uplifting voice, to share my progress and give beneficial and motivational information to those that are struggling and are in need of assistance of meeting their needs. Both of my parents were natural helpers, and knew little English, but always made it their number one priority to help people in need, from house searching, job searching, providing shelter and food to people in need. My siblings and I were like vacuums watching how our parents made it their duty to help others, we idolized my parents for their strengths and values. My parents shaped and instilled those values in me to carry with me throughout my entire life. My family and community have influenced me to go into this profession to make a difference, to be a voice, to counsel and to be a listener for those that do not have someone to speak to.
    I am in the pursuit of obtaining a Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services. From the time of graduation I envision myself having the pleasure to work at a junior high school as a Guidance Counselor. My dream is being able to provide guidance, information, and counseling to the young children of the world and help shaping them into becoming a successful individual aware of their great strengths that they have. In ten years following, I would like to further my education and I would like to grasp the opportunity of moving up in the career ladder to becoming a mental health counselor and working with adolescents and adult men and women. I would like to assist people in learning ways to cope with their problems, such as life events, abuse, relationship problems, etc. From working with adolescence and adults I would like to learn the different theories I can use to help them. I would like to learn different methods of networking so I can be able to make referrals for clients and be able to reach out to these different organizations for support.
    I believe that I will be a great Guidance Counselor and further down the line a great Mental Health Counselor because of my personal and professional strengths. My personal and professional strengths include being an active listener, very understanding and a great speaker. My strengths will be a great asset to my career, because I will be able to give my clients the full attention that they deserve without interrupting them at the wrong time when speaking, and taking the time to get a full understanding of what my clients are going through. I am a great speaker so I will also be able to be clear and efficient when providing my clients with beneficial information.
    My goal is to give it my all in school and learn and reciprocate the information that will guide me in getting my foot in the door of working in the field of Human Services. I am following my passion and will trust myself to achieve being a helping hand for the people in my community. To show them anyone can make a difference if they put their mind to do so. No matter how big or difficult the obstacle is , to continue to keep faith and continue to strive to be the best that they can be.

#45498

Crystal Paul

Seems like you have great strengths, and will make a great impact by being in the human service field.

#45789

Dr. Abdur-Rahman

Nice job overall. There are a few grammar issues that should be corrected and the last paragraph needs to be revised. Also indent your paragraphs.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)