HMGT 1101 – Perspectives in Hospitality Management – FA15

• Reflection
  • #32269

Arthesa

Hi, my name is Arthesa Portorreal, reflecting on who I am as a student I will say I am a very smart, witty, ambitious girl that still has a lot of learning and improving to do. As a student I understand that in order for me to get to where I want to be in life I have to sacrifice myself during a short amount of time if I really want to be successful and enjoy the rest of my life. One of my downfalls is that I change my mind too much as to where I want to direct my future towards, even now I’m still sometimes unsure in what career path I want to walk down through. Some days I want to get into public relations and others I feel like I should think of the bigger picture and just do hospitality management for the sake of my future. Another downfall is that I’m a person who isn’t sure of themselves in certain aspects. I feel as if sometimes I’m in school because is the norm and at the end of the road I’m going to be left with nothing to show for.
    My goals for this semester is to have more control of my time and I can get things done in time, also another goal I have set myself for this semester is to end it with a 3.0 and above. By the end of this semester I also hope I realize what it is that I want to do for the rest of my life and be content with that choice, depending on that choice I will also make the decision if I want to stay in City Tech and pursue hospitality management or if I want to transfer to another school to do public relations. So far my academic experience has been good afar from knowing what I want to do at the end of this ride. Being that I am a transfer student from SUNY Delhi, the experience here is very different I was used to things being one way and now everything is much different. I hope that with time I will get comfortable and excel during my time being here.
    I still don’t know what I want my career goal to be but I do know that I want to be successful and content with whatever it is I do. I want to be able to live a comfortable life where I’m not working day in day out and barely making end meets. I will like to be able to move to Los Angeles and if I do pursue public relations I will like to either work for a big magazine such as W, Vogue or Paper or have a corporate job in my field. If I do choose to become a general manager I will like to end up living in the Dominican Republic or in any tropical country and working from there. The only real experience I have was working for Motion Pictures Editors Guild in Tribeca. My time there showed me a lot and taught me a lot of things as well, it also taught me that when you work at a place and you don’t love your job it can really make you miserable so you don’t showcase your best work and treat the job as a place where you just go in and can’t wait to get out.
    I will say my strongest personal strength is I’m very likeable and a people person. I’m very nice and when people see that they get surprised because there isn’t many people out here that put others first or put their best interest first too. When I first started working for MPEG I became really close to the boss and my supervisor causing me to work there for 4 years even though my internship was supposed to be for the summer. I realized in life you have to put out what you want to bring in and you have to treat others how you would like to be treated, everything revolves around karma and if you give out good it is bound to come back and that’s how I view life in all aspects of it.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)