ENG 1121 English Composition II OL 44 (30314)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Feb. 6 (2 of 2) complex sentences using subordination and short stories

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Today I will post work for Tuesday Feb. 6 and Thursday Feb. 8
    Please answer numbers 1 through 9 right away. It is homework.

1) The acronym FANBOYS is an easy way to remember them. Please write down the FANBOYS words.
    Keep in mind the prefix co- is used for words that show equality. A co-owner also owns something; a co-ed class has both male and female students and they are treated equally.

A compound sentence has two grammatically “equal” thoughts (also called “independent clauses) and is joined by a coordinating word.

2) Please list at least 15 subordinating conjunctions. You can Google them.

Keep in mind, the prefix sub- which you see in such words as subterranean, subway, submarine, has to do with things below.

The phrase subordinating conjunction suggests a relationship that is not equal.

3) Name a context in which some people are not “equal” and therefore would be considered subordinate to others.  These are just fields of employment in which many people are considered subordinate to a few.  (We are all created equal and this is not about any discrimination.)  Have you ever been in a situation where you were a subordinate to someone?

When you have a subordinating conjunction (item 2), you will have a situation in which the two clauses
    are grammatically unequal, meaning one can stand alone as independent, but the other clause is “dependent” on the independent one and the dependent one cannot stand alone as a full sentence.
    Please see the document from Feb 2 or 6 for examples and note how the dependent half—the half that contains the subordinating word, like “when” or “since”—can be placed first or in the middle, and the result may need a comma or not.

4) Either copy your own complex sentences from that last class (if they were correct) or write new ones. You are assigned five good ones to copy and/or write here:

__________________________________________________________________________5) Please Google the difference between phrases and clauses. Our writing is composed of all sorts of combinations .

6) Write down the definitions of phrases and clauses.

From 1 to 6 above is homework intended to be submitted here in Discussion; from 7 to 10 below is classwork, but you need to read the first two selections “Girl” and Salvation” before 11:30 Thursday for our Zoom class on Thursday. __________________________________________________________________________7) Also Google what a “short story” in literature is. It is not a children’s story, a fairy tale, or a fable about foxes and crows.

8) Please write down a definition of a short story. It is a work of fiction. ( Our readings in and out of college are either called “fiction” or “nonfiction.” Novels are the most well-known examples of fiction. Poems and plays are their own category, so only short stories and novels are considered fiction in your college-level readings.)

9) Can you name any short story titles that you may have read in high school?
    Their titles should be enclosed in quotation marks, like Poe’s “The Pit and the Pendulum.”

We will be reading three stories this week. They are linked below. Only two out of the three are short stories. One is an essay.

THERE WILL BE QUESTIONS ON EACH READING for you to post replies to.

What is below the solid line are the readings.
    10)  Please read the first two for Thursday. You will be provided question on them on or by Thursday.
    The links are below.

_____________________________________________________________________________________(a one-page story) “Girl” by Jamaica Kincaid

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__cristianaziraldo.altervista.org_wp-2Dcontent_uploads_2014_09_Girl-2DJamaica-2DKincaid.pdf&d=DwICaQ&c=pRW6ZPn_LDv0DnDIAK65Ad0CA4hBS-2mAmNa2_oHfF0&r=O8LwmqGHuHWzP1L8uhPVsE3PNpSB57fOrRMhaywrDF0&m=hudqhsbs7upUA75FwpLEQm6lJHV6PVSOmA9W-sBJcXY&s=GwMDHXCldE_Rye9f7YxIbYhHVzXUKO7mCzwTueayVzo&e=

______________________________________________________________________________

“Salvation” by Langston Hughes This is part of a memoir, it is non-fiction.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.chino.k12.ca.us_cms_lib8_CA01902308_Centricity_Domain_2273_Salvation.Annotated.pdf&d=DwICaQ&c=pRW6ZPn_LDv0DnDIAK65Ad0CA4hBS-2mAmNa2_oHfF0&r=O8LwmqGHuHWzP1L8uhPVsE3PNpSB57fOrRMhaywrDF0&m=hudqhsbs7upUA75FwpLEQm6lJHV6PVSOmA9W-sBJcXY&s=CK4KgmDwsHYnlyrmX41u5dxttf7ecaRsy7g_vfC8pAU&e=

11)  Homework for the week of Feb. 12.   This next short story is a little longer and we will discuss it next week:

“<span class=”il”>Young</span> <span class=”il”>Goodman</span> <span class=”il”>Brown</span>” by Nathaniel Hawthorne (a classic short story), longer than the other readings.

https://www.owleyes.org/text/<span class=”il”>young</span>-<span class=”il”>goodman</span>-<span class=”il”>brown</span>/read/<span class=”il”>young</span>-<span class=”il”>goodman</span>-<span class=”il”>brown</span>#root-219816-76

tanya
    Participant

1.(F)or (A)nd (N)or (B)ut (O)r (Y)et (S)o

2.As, if, until, when, as, than, that, after, while, unless, before, because, how, through, although

3.A context in which some people are “not equal” can be school, work, or even at home. In school, students are considered unequal to professors because we are the ones attaining knowledge from them. With work, your boss gives you orders and you have to listen to them in order to do your job since they have a higher status at work. In our households we are subordinate to our parents as well as we must listen and respect them.

4.1.I was tired, so I went to sleep. 2.I wasn’t hungry, but the food looked good so I ate. 3.My brother is annoying, and he knows it as well. 4.I have a cat, but my brother is allergic. 5.I love rice and chicken, but I also love pasta.

5&6. A clause is a group of words with a subject-verb unit; the 2nd group of words contains the subject-verb unit the bus goes to, so it is a clause. A phrase is a group of words without a subject-verb unit.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by tanya.

Ryan Santoso
    Participant

2) After, Although, As, Because, Before, Even, If, Since, Though, Unless, Until, When, Whenever, Where, While

3) <span style=”color: #3d3d3d; font-family: Roboto Regular, Helvetica, sans-serif;”>The context in which some people are not “equal” and therefore would be considered subordinate to others would be a teacher and student relationship where the student is the subordinate, or in a job where there is an employee and a boss where in that relationship the employee is the subordinate. I was in a situation where I was a subordinate where I was interning under a sound tech engineer where I was an intern and the sound tech engineer was teaching me.</span>

4)  1. I will go to the party if I finish my homework early.

2. He couldn’t go to the concert because he had to work overtime.

3. He felt sleepy because he stayed up late watching movies.

4. When the sun sets, the sky turns dark.

5. Because the traffic was heavy, they arrived late to work.

5)  A phrase is a group of words acting as a unit that does not include a subject and a predicate. A clause is a group of words acting as a unit that does have both a subject and a predicate.

6) A clause is a group of words with a subject-verb unit; the 2nd group of words contains the subject-verb unit the bus goes, so it is a clause. A phrase is a group of words without a subject-verb unit.  If we try to change the time or tense of the lst group of words, we cannot, because it contains no word that changes to show time or tense. It has no verb, so it can’t have a subject-verb unit.  It is a phrase.

7) Short stories give readers compelling characters, drama, and descriptive language in a compact package

8) Brief fictional prose narrative that is shorter than a novel and that usually deals with only a few characters.

9)  I did not really read short stories in high school but more of novels.

Caitlyn Murphy
    Participant

1- (F)or, (A)nd, (N)or, (B)ut, (O)r, (Y)et, (S)o

2- after, although, as, as if, as long as, as soon as, as though, because, before, even if, even though, if, in order that, since, though

3-Healthcare personnel are arranged in a definite hierarchy in places like hospitals. There are differences in the authority and duty of doctors, nurses, and other medical staff members; doctors usually have the most authority. I currently work in the healthcare field and abide by the nurses and the duties they may need me to do.

4-  While I am a passionate basketball fan, I prefer football. Although she was considered smart, she failed her exams. Although it was raining, they decided to go for a walk. Since he arrived early, he had time to relax. Whenever it rains, I like to wear my red coat.

5- A phrase is a group of words acting as a unit that does not include a subject and a predicate. A clause is a group of words acting as a unit that does have both a subject and a predicate.

6- Phrase: a group of words without a subject and verb that functions as a single part of speech. Clause: A group of words containing a subject and verb, which can function independently as a complete sentence or as part of a larger sentence structure.

Osman
    Participant

1) FANBOYS words: For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So.

2) Subordinating conjunctions: Although, Because, Since, While, After, Before, Until, When, Where, If, Unless, Though, Even though, As, As if.

3) Context where people are not “equal”: In jobs, employees are often subordinate to managers or supervisors because they are in higher charge of things or police station for example some people are higher in status and experience with job detective isn’t like normal cop or agent .

4) Complex sentences:
    – After work, Emily went for a walk.
    – Concert tickets were expensive, but they attended the show.
    – Due to rain, the event moved to the next week.
    – Despite a busy schedule, Mark volunteered.
    – Since the car failed, they took the bus.

5) Difference between phrases and clauses: Phrases group words; clauses have subjects and predicates.

6) Definitions:
    – Phrase: Group without a subject or predicate.
    – Clause: Group with a subject and predicate.

7) Definition of a short story: A brief work of fiction with a focused plot, character, or theme, with setting,point of views, and storyline that’s short to the point.

JaNiya J
    Participant

(F)or (A)nd (N)or (B)ut (O)r (Y)et (S)o

After, although, as, even, even if, as if, because, before, how, since, though, unless, until, when, and while
    A context in which people are seen as “not equal” is within legal professions, most law firms see their paralegals as the minority to the associates and higher. They think that they’re knowledge on the topic of law is very minimal when they know some things senior partners or higher dont know.

The cat was sleeping, but birds woke her up
    Sarah was nervous, but she was confident
    It was raining but the kids still wanted to go and play
    Maria did her chores and then relaxed
    There was a knock at the door and the dog barked
    Phrases and clauses are both fundamental units of grammar, but they serve different functions within sentences.

Noun Phrase: A noun phrase is a group of words centered around a noun that functions as a subject, object, or complement within a sentence.
    Verb Phrase: A verb phrase is a group of words that includes a main verb and any auxiliary (helping) verbs that together express the action or state of being in a sentence.
    Adjective Phrase: An adjective phrase is a group of words centered around an adjective that modifies or describes a noun or pronoun in a sentence.
    Adverb Phrase: An adverb phrase is a group of words centered around an adverb that modifies or describes a verb, adjective, or other adverb within a sentence.
    Prepositional Phrase: A prepositional phrase is a group of words that begins with a preposition and ends with a noun, pronoun, or gerund, called the object of the preposition.
    Participial Phrase: A participial phrase is a group of words centered around a participle (a verb form ending in -ing or -ed) that functions as an adjective to modify a noun or pronoun in a sentence.

Independent Clause: An independent clause, also known as a main clause, is a group of words that contains a subject and a predicate (verb) and expresses a complete thought.
    Dependent Clause: A dependent clause, also known as a subordinate clause, is a group of words that contains a subject and a predicate (verb) but does not express a complete thought.
    Noun Clause: A noun clause is a type of dependent clause that functions as a noun within a sentence.
    Adjective Clause (Relative Clause): An adjective clause is a type of dependent clause that functions as an adjective within a sentence, modifying a noun or pronoun.
    Adverb Clause: An adverb clause is a type of dependent clause that functions as an adverb within a sentence, modifying a verb, adjective, or adverb.
    a story with a fully developed theme but significantly shorter and less elaborate than a novel.
    I didn’t really read short stories in high school.

Myfab06
    Participant

1. FANBOYS: (F)or, (A)an, (N)or, (B)ut, (O)or, (Y)et, and (S)o

2. Where, as if, while, so that, although, because, even if, rather than, despite, whereas, before, unless, when, until, and though.

3. I have been in many situations where I have been the subordinate. I work in a hospital where you can be right about a situation many times, but because my title isn’t a registered nurse, it goes unheard more often than not.

4. Complex senentence

– I love going outside when the weather is warm.

– The cat purrs softly.

– I like chocolate ice cream.

– The flower smells sweet.

– She studies mathematics.

5. A phrase is a group of words acting as a unit that does not include a subject or predicate.

6. A clause is a group of words acting as a unit that does have both a subject and a predicate.

Yaritza Torres
    Participant

1.) (F)or, (A)nd, (N)or, (B)ut, (O)r, (Y)et, (S)o</span></p>

2.) As, because, before, unless, how, if, once, that, when, while, even if, as though, why, who, rather than.

3.) A context in which some people are not “equal” and therefore would be considered subordinate to others is the workplace. Your boss can tell you what to do and you have to listen to them or else you will be fired.

4.) 1. Whenever I felt lonely, I called my mother.                                                                                                                   2. She divorced him because he cheated on her.                                                                                                                 3. Even though he was rich, he still drove an old car.                                                                                                        4. After working a long shift, he relaxed for the rest of the day.

5.)The difference between phrases and clauses is that a clause is a group of words with a subject-verb unit and a phrase does not have a subject-verb unit.

6.)A phrase is a group of words used in a sentence to act as a noun. A clause is a group of words that contains both a subject and a predicate.

Gana Elhanafy
    Participant

1) (F)or, (A)nd, (N)or, (B)ut, (O)r, (Y)et, (S)o.
    2) After, as if, although, though, if only, that, so that, before, as long as, in order to, even if, while, till, than, whereas.
    3) One context in which there are subordinates, is in any educational institute, Deans are subordinates to the Principal and the students are subordinate to the teachers for example.
    4) If I finish my homework, I will join you for dinner. He couldn’t go to school since he was sick. The cat was sick so it took a vaccine. He missed the test because he was late to class. I like to wear my sunglasses whenever it’s sunny outside.
    5) A phrase is a group of words that behaves like a part of speech while clauses are a group of words that have both a subject and a predicate.
    6) Define Phrase: A group of words that work together in a sentence but do not contain a subject or a verb.
    Define Clause: A group of words that contain a subject and a verb that have a relationship.

Juan B
    Participant

1) For
    And
    Nor
    But
    Or
    Yet
    So
    2) After, Before, Although, Because, As, As if, Even though, Until, When, Since, While, Unless, Whenever, Where, Even, Even if
    3) A situation where people are not equal is in jobs / employment. For instance, there could be new employees, who are considered much less important than a CEO or Co-CEO.
    4)After I finish my homework, I enjoy taking my dog for a walk. While I was driving home, I heard a weird noise coming off the engine of my car. Although I was exhausted from work, I stayed up late to finish my math homework. Due to the heavy rain, I decided to play fetch with my dog at home. After saving enough money, I took a trip to six flags with my friends.
    5) The difference between phrases and clauses is that phrases group words together, while clauses have subjects and predicates
    6) A phrase is a small group of words standing together as a conceptual unit. A clause is a group of words that contains a subject and a predicate,
    8)A short story is a brief story that gets straight to the point, while also including characters, a well developed theme, plot and more.
    9) I do not remember any of them, since we hardly spent much time on them.

Kyyoung98
    Participant

1. FANBOYS – For, And , Nor, But, Or, Yet, So.

2. After, Although, As, Because, Before, Even though, If, Since, Though, Unless, Until, When, Whenever, Where, While.

3.  In corporate settings, employees are often organized into different levels of authority and responsibilities, with some Individuals holding positions of authority and decision-making power than others.

4. 1. Because they missed the train, they had to wait for the next one to arrive.

2. Since she forgot her umbrella, Jane had to run home in the pouring rain.

3. Despite the cold weather, they decided to go hike in the woods.

4. When the alarm rang, Karen reluctantly got out of bed to start her day.

5. After finishing his homework, Logan went outside to play baseball with his brother.

5. The main difference between phrases and clauses is that phrases do not contain both a subject and a verb and cannot express a complete thought, while clauses contain both a subject and a verb and can express a complete thought either independently or as part of a sentence.

6. Phrase- a phrase is a group of words that does not contain both a subject and a verb.

Clause- A clauses is a group of words that contains both a subject and a verb and expresses a complete thought.

7. A short story is a brief work of fiction that focuses on a single event, character, or theme.

8. Short story- is a work of fiction that focuses on a single plotline, event, or character , presented concisely within a limited word count.

9. The short story I’ve read in grade school was Sonny’s Blues by James Baldwin.

Sofia Quinde
    Participant

1. (F)or, (A)nd, (N)or, (B)ut, (O)r, (Y)et, (S)o.

2. Because, as if, although, even if, since, as though, though, when, while, provided, if, unless, where, until, before.

3. Students are subordinates to the teachers, and the teachers are subordinates to the principal.

4. (1) Ramona cannot sing but still loves music. (2) Robbie woke up late so he did not go to school. (3) Diego loved to read but could not afford to buy books. (4) Faye was invited to a party but did not want to go. (5) Although Gwendolyn was shy, she was able to defend herself.

5. The difference between phrases and clauses is that a phrase does not contain a subject-verb, while clauses do contain a subject-verb.

6. A phrase is a group of words that does not contain a subject-verb, and a clause is a group of words that contains a subject and a verb.

arslan
    Participant

1)
    For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, and So
    2)
    1. Although
    2. Because
    3. Before
    4. If
    5. Since
    6. Unless
    7. After
    8. While
    9. When
    10. Wherever
    11. Whether
    12. Though
    13. Provided that
    14. As if
    15. In order that

3) Some people hold more power than others in companies, which creates a hierarchy. This means that some workers have authority over other workers who are subordinate to them and have less power. In a company, bosses and higher-ups have more power than regular workers. They decide what the organization is working towards and control its money and resources. Workers are supposed to do as they’re told by their bosses. This kind of structure can be found in many areas like business, government, schools and hospitals. It doesn’t mean that people are treated unfairly but it does show how work is divided up in these places.When I’m at work, I am subordinate to my manager.

4)
    1- I love spending time outdoors, hiking through the mountains and exploring new trails; however, I also enjoy cozying up with a good book on a rainy day.
    2- She had studied diligently all semester, sacrificing her social life for academic success; as a result, she achieved the highest grade in the class.

3- Despite facing numerous challenges along the way, they never lost sight of their ultimate goal: to create positive change in their community and inspire others to do the same.
    4- The movie was thrilling, so we decided to watch it again.
    5- She studied hard for her exams, but she still felt nervous about her performance.

6 and 7) A phrase is a group of words that work together as a unit, but it does not have a subject-verb combination on its own. It lacks a complete thought or cannot stand alone as a sentence. Phrases can function as nouns, verbs, adjectives, or adverbs within a sentence.A clause is also a group of words, but unlike a phrase, it contains both a subject and a predicate (verb). A clause forms a complete thought and can function independently as a sentence or be part of a larger sentence.

8) A short story is a brief work of fiction that typically focuses on a single event, character, or theme. It is characterized by its concise length, often ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand words, allowing for quick and focused storytelling. Short stories aim to captivate readers through their succinct narrative structure, compelling characters, and thought-provoking themes.

9) “The Most Dangerous Game” by Richard Connell that only short story that i can remember .

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by arslan.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by arslan.

Mariadelmar Marin
    Participant

1-FANBOYS: For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So.

2- Subordinating Conjunctions:

1-After

2-Although

3-As

4-As if

5-Because

6-Before

7-How

8-If

9-Since

10-Than

11-Though

12-Unless

13-Until

14-When

15-While

3-In healthcare facilities, Nurses are subordinate by the Doctors. Doctors are subordinate by attending (head of the Doctors). I feel when it comes to professions, it comes based on your level of education, people tend to subordinate others based on careers and amount spent in school earning that degree.

4-I don’t drink green tea but, they drink coffee.

-I chose black pants but, a white shirt.

-Im going to buy a pair of shoes and socks.

-I didn’t know this assignment was classwork but, submitted it late anyways.

-She clearly said potatoes chips or apples.

5-Clauses both have a subject and a predicate, phrases do not.

6-Phrase include details that make a sentence more interesting. They can clarify location, describe an action, and make a noun easier to picture.

*Clause are the backbone of a sentence. They contain the subject and predicate that make a sentence complete. They must have a subject and a verb.

8-A short story is a form of fiction writing is distinguished by its briefness.

9-I didn’t read any short stories in high school, we focused more on novels and writing.

braulio
    Participant

<p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;”>1- (F)or, (A)nd, (N)or, (B)ut, (O)r, (Y)et, (S)o</p>
    <p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;”>2- after, although, as if, as long , as soon as,, because, before, even though, if, since, though</p>
    <p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;”>3-Healthcare personnel are arranged in a definite hierarchy in places like hospitals. There are differences in the authority and duty of doctors, nurses, and other medical staff members; doctors usually have the most authority. I currently work in the healthcare field and abide by the nurses and the duties they may need me to do.</p>
    <p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;”>4-  While I am a passionate basketball fan, I prefer football. Although she was considered smart, she failed her exams. Although it was raining, they decided to go for a walk. Since he arrived early, he had time to relax. Whenever it rains, I like to wear my red coat.</p>
    <p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;”>5- A phrase is a group of words acting as a unit that does not include a subject and a predicate. A clause is a group of words acting as a unit that does have both a subject and a predicate.</p>
    <p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;”>6- <strong style=”box-sizing: border-box;”>Phrase: a group of words without a subject and verb that functions as a single part of speech. <strong style=”box-sizing: border-box;”>Clause: A group of words containing a subject and verb, which can function independently as a complete sentence or as part of a larger sentence structure.</p>
    <p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;”>8)A short story is a brief story that gets straight to the point, while also including characters, a well developed theme, plot and more.<br style=”box-sizing: border-box;” />9) I do not remember any of them, since we hardly spent much time on them.</p>

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.