ENG 1121 English Composition II OL 44 (30314)

• Feb. 15 questions about "Young Goodman Brown"
  • #91850

Prof. Masiello

Questions about the reading (members should post their replies here).  Please note: your classmates can see your comments and this IS an English Comp class, so your writing correctness is important.

“Young Goodman Brown” is a classic short story. It has all the trappings: relatively brief length, very few characters, and a surprise ending. Please don’t be put off by the archaic language. It was written almost 200 years ago and was current at that time. You may know the author’s name from another book he wrote, The Scarlet Letter, which has a similar setting, Salem, Massachusetts.

1) What do you know about Salem, Massachusetts? (You may Google it.)

2) What did you find unusual about the characters’ names?

3) Can you think of any stories you have read or seen wherein the characters’ names seemed so appropriate and even symbolic? (We are not talking about nicknames, wrestlers, rappers, or superheroes, and supervillains.)

4) What object is associated with his wife’s appearance? We see it more than once. What does it symbolize about her?

5) Approximately what age would you estimate Goodman and his wife to be? They are recently married, but back then people married very young. (The general life span was much less than today, people did not go to college, and it was considered highly immoral to have sex before marriage – hence people got married young.)

6) Why does this newlywed young man leave his nervous wife on this particular night? Where was he going and why?

7) At what point did you begin to sense that something odd was happening where he was walking?

8) Mention a few other highly unusual things he saw? (If you ever went camping in the woods, you realize it is very dark and not a place to be walking around.)

9) Eventually, he gets to his destination. What exactly is happening there?

10) When he sees that “wife object” how does he react?

11) At one point he cries out, “My Faith is gone!” What is the double meaning of this?

12) Who has been narrating this story? (Hawthorn is the author, of course, but is the author omniscient or a character, or some other combination? Why then does the narrator ask if all this story was a dream?

13) Does it matter to you if the story has been a dream or not? Can you think of any stories wherein a terrific plot or sequence turned out to be just a dream? Were you disappointed or exhilarated by finding out it was a dream?

14) Look at what happens to Goodman and the rest of his life. Have you ever been influenced by a dream to take some action? Or do you quickly forget your dreams? Are you yourself disappointed or relieved when you wake up from a dream?

15) The author seems to be pessimistic about people: they are essentially bad, even if they try to act good. How do you feel about that? Do you feel people are basically good or bad – and why?

#92719

tanya

1. Salem, Massachusetts is known for locals who practiced witchcraft and held witchcraft trials in the 17th century. It is home to the “Witch House” and former trial judge home. It has a Museum with global art and artifacts.

2.The names are unusual because they aren’t common but I think both names are symbolism for their characters

3.I don’t remember any stories where the characters have symbolic names, but in a Turkish show called “Yabani” one of the characters who’s name is Guven which means trust in English, he is a doctor and a trustworthy man because he goes out of his way to help everyone around him. Another character in that show named Umut which means hope, who had a disability of being unable to walk but was always optimistic and had hope that he would be able to one day.

4.The pink ribbon is associated with Goodmans wife’s appearance symbolizes her innocence.

5.I would estimate Goodman and his wife to be in their teens or early twenties, since people at the time did marry very young. The guy who perceived Goodman also called his wife 20 while mocking her so I think they’re both around that age or maybe Goodman is a little older.

6.Goodman leaves his nervous wife to go to a meeting he had in the woods. Im not sure why, maybe the errand he had was with the devil or he just wanted alone time and ran into him accidentally.

7.I began to sense something odd was happening where he was walking when the strange man started walking side by side with him and speaking about things that made Goodman uncomfortable.

8.Unusual things he saw was people that he knew in the woods, and “pious” people participating in rituals.

9.When he gets to his destination, the devil is there and a ritual full of people he knows from the community.

10.When he sees his wife object he is shocked and upset that his wife isn’t as innocent as he thought she was.

11.The double meaning of “My Faith is gone”, is his wife was physically no longer with him at the ritual and his own religious faith was shaken.

12.The narrator is omniscient, it knows how the characters feel and think. The narrator asks if it was a dream so that the readers would feel uncertain and come up with their own answers/ideas, making the story more interesting.

13.It doesn’t matter to me if the story was a dream or not, but I think for many people it leaves them with a “hook” wanting to read more of Hawthornes stories. “Inception” is a movie with the “it was a dream” plot twist and sequence. They implant false ideas into peoples minds and go to different levels in a dream world.

14.Goodmans life is influenced in a way where he doesn’t trust anything and is suspicious now. I forget my dreams most of the time.

15.Hawthorne has a pessimistic view on people even if they do good actions probably based on experiences. If he comes from Salem, Massachusetts and witnessed witchcraft over there, Id understand why his view is pessimistic. Personally, I do think there is good and bad people, the way people grow up shapes how they act and treat others. I also believe there’s good people who do bad things and vise versa, but I try to assume good.

#92746

Juan B

1) In the 17th century, Salem, Massachusetts became infamous for its residents accused of practicing witchcraft and the ensuing trials.
    2)They aren’t common since I do not know any people with those names, but they most likely have a meaning behind them.
    3)I don’t really know any stories that have characters with symbolic names, but there are a couple of shows that do include symbolic names.
    4) The pink ribbon is associated with Goodmans wife’s appearance, which symbolizes the innocence that she possesses.
    5) Due to the fact that not many people went to college back then, I assume they were around their early 20’s and late 10’s.
    6) He does that since he has a meeting in the woods for an unknown reason. I honestly don’t know why, but he coincidentally ran into the devil when he did go away.
    7)I honestly started feeling something odd was happening when the man started spewing words that made Goodman feel uncomfortable.
    8) When he saw people he recognized, as well people participating in some sort of rituals.
    9) When he gets to his destination, he is welcomed by a ritual that included people he knows, as well as the devil himself.
    10) He is angry and feels betrayed when he comes to the realization that his wife isn’t as innocent as she seemed.
    11) The two meanings that phrase possesses is that he no longer has the same faith he used to have in his religion, as well as the fact that his wife was no longer with him physically at the ritual.
    12) There is nothing we know about the narrator other than the fact that they are omniscient due to its knowledge of the characters’ thoughts. The narrator asks that to make the story more intriguing to the reader, making them question their thoughts while reading the story.
    13) I personally do not care if the story is a dream. The only story that I can recall that does that is Alice in Wonderland. I personally didn’t mind that much, since it doesn’t really change anything groundbreaking established in the story.
    14) I have been influenced by my dreams to take action when it comes to being the best person I can be for myself and my friends. I am disappointed since I usually have very interesting dreams with unique settings.
    15) I feel that I can see where the author is coming from, but I still do not agree with that idea. People are basically good in my opinion, and are only bad when influenced by negative things, such as lies and deceptions that can rub off on them at a young age.

#92750

Mariadelmar Marin

1) Around 1692 Salem, Massachusetts gained fame for its witchcraft trials. People were execute for practicing witchcraft.

2) I found unusual that the characters names aren’t very common and their names has meanings.

3) I really don’t recall reading something that its characters have symbolic names. I think symbolic names were more used back in the day but there are movies that in fact their characters did have symbolic names for example the hunger games. Katniss which in latin means archer, the character in this movie had the name Katniss Everdeen and she was an archer in the hunger games.

4) A pink ribbon is associated with his wife’s appearance, it resembles her purity and innocence.

5) I believe they were around the beginning of their 20’s.

6) He left his nervous wife to go into the forest at night, perhaps he would come across the devil who is to believed that from all nights during the year, that night he would be more dangerous, and likely to come around.

7) I started to realize that something was odd when he was walking in the dark forest where he saw the figured of a man, in a grave and decent attire seated at the foot of an old tree. The man started to talk to Goodman side by side making him feel uncomfortable.

8) Some unlikely unusual things Goodman noticed was a deep dusk in the forest. People he recognize doing rituals.

9) When he finally reaches his destination, Goodman he sees people he is familiar with doing rituals as well the devil himself.

10) When he sees his wife object, he feels angry and disappointed to realize his wife isn’t as pure and innocent as he thought she was. Living a lie.

11) I believe when he said “My faith is gone” he is referring to what he used to believe. Especially after realizing about his wife, like he doesn’t know anymore.

12) I think the narrator is a third person as he refers to the characters by their names. Young Goodman, Faith, The devil etc. The narrator ask if this is all a dream to make his audience wonder and analyze the events that took place and compare it to real life. While narrating the story, it kind of made me think if it was based on a dream.

13) The story seemed like a dream to me, as I keep reading more and more. I haven’t read any story that end up being a dream however, I have seen movies like shutter island which at the end of this movie; it had a twist plot leaving me speechless, which wasn’t a dream but it was a story he played in his head.

14) I honestly don’t dream much, but there are times when I do. The dream seems so realistic that when I wake up it feels like I was living that dream, and sometimes I go back to sleep and the dream continues.  My dreams are mostly about sickness and snakes, pretty negative. I feel relief when I wake up that I realize, it was just a dream. I honestly hate dreaming.

15) I feel people are more bad than good. Honestly in today’s society you see more people doing bad than any good. I always believe that the devil doesn’t show anymore in this world because people are so wicked and mean that the devil doesn’t need to show himself. Bad is easy and requires less effort.

#92752

Osman

1. Salem, Massachusetts, has this fascinating history tied to witchcraft and the 17th-century witch trials. Places like the “Witch House” and the judge’s old home make it a spot filled with stories. Plus, there’s a cool museum with art and artifacts from around the world.

2. The characters’ names are a bit unique, and I feel like they’re there to tell us something about the characters, you know, like a hidden message or something.

3. John Steinbeck’s “Of Mice and Men” – Lennie Small:Lennie’s last name, Small, is ironic given his enormous size and strength. The name emphasizes his vulnerability and innocence, contrasting with his physical appearance.

4. The pink ribbon thing in the story is like a symbol for Goodman’s wife’s innocence. It’s like her purity is visually represented by this innocent ribbon.

5. Goodman and his wife, they’re probably young, like in their late teens or early twenties. People back then used to marry early. There’s this guy in the story who calls Goodman’s wife “twenty,” so that’s a hint.

6. Goodman leaves his wife nervously waiting to go to some meeting in the woods. Why? I’m not sure, maybe he’s meeting the devil or just wants some alone time and stumbles upon something weird.

7. Things get weird when a random dude starts walking with Goodman in the woods, talking about uncomfortable stuff.

8. Goodman sees familiar faces and supposedly “good” people doing strange rituals in the woods.

9. When he reaches the meeting spot, surprise! The devil is there, and everyone from the town is having some sort of ritual.

10. The shock hits when Goodman sees his wife, who he thought was innocent, taking part in the ritual.

11. “My Faith is gone” has this double meaning – his wife isn’t there at the ritual, and it shakes his religious faith too.

12. The narrator is like that friend who knows everything. By asking if it was a dream, it’s like they want us to think and come up with our ideas, making the story more interesting.

13. One notable example is the movie “Inception” directed by Christopher Nolan. The film revolves around the concept of dreams within dreams, blurring the lines between reality and the dream world. The ending leaves viewers questioning whether the protagonist is still within a dream or has returned to reality. The ambiguity has sparked extensive discussions and interpretations, with some finding it exhilarating to have an open-ended conclusion, while others may have felt a bit disappointed by the lack of a clear resolution.
    14. Goodman’s life takes a turn; now he’s all distrusting and suspicious. It’s relatable because I forget most of my dreams too.

15. Hawthorne seems a bit pessimistic about people, maybe from his own experiences. I believe there’s good and bad in everyone, shaped by how they grow up. Even if someone does good things, Hawthorne might still see a shadow of doubt. I prefer assuming the good in people.`

#92761

Gana Elhanafy

1) I know that Salem, Massachusetts is where the Salem witch trials took place, and it’s when there was a series of hearings and prosecutions that took place after a group of young girls in Salem Village claimed to be possessed by the devil and accused local women of witchcraft; resulting in the death of many innocent people including children.
    2) What is unusual about the names is how Young Goodman Brown’s name can also double as symbolism for the innocence of young men and Faith can also be taken literally as the word “Faith” which means trust and confidence in something. All the names double for symbolism of those who inhabit this corrupt world.
    3) In To Kill A Mockingbird had a boy named “Jem” which is symbolic for how he was a good and brave character.
    4) The pink ribbons she wears are mentioned more than once and they symbolize her purity and innocence.
    5) I estimate them to be in their late teens or early twenties.
    6) He goes to the forest for some type of meeting, he feels guilty for going there but he intends on returning to Faith.
    7) When the old man he was walking with began to make Young Goodman uncomfortable.
    8) Some unusual things he saw was people that he knew as innocent and good people, but they were participating in strange rituals and appeared to be corrupt.
    9) He finds the devil and many “innocent” people he knew taking part in this evil meeting/ritual of conversion, even his wife was there.
    10) He’s shocked and angry that his wife isn’t as innocent as she appeared to be.
    11) The double meaning of “My Faith is gone” is how his faith in humanity has perished and how he no longer believes in the “good” people as they all turned out to be frauds.
    12) I believe the narration in in third person, evident by the use of the names, objects, and description of event, they even add a little twist by making me question whether all that happened to Young Goodman Brown was real or not, or if it was a nightmare. I think the narrator asks this because many surreal things happen like the old man’s snake-like staff that can quickly take Goodman to the ritual, or how quickly his wife managed to get there if she was back at the village although she wanted him to stay with her in the village.
    13) It does matter to me if the story turned out to be a dream or not, and I also believe it depends highly on what the plot is and how it handles it. For example when I saw Alice in Wonderland, I missed the fact that the characters didn’t turn out to be real at all but at least she left with valuable lessons in the end. All in all, it depends in my opinion.
    14) After the events he witnessed, he’s now distrustful and can’t even see his wife the same way anymore. I mostly forget my dreams but I remember when I was younger I had a bad dream that my mom chose a cat over me and I woke up angry at her that day.
    15) I can understand the author’s point of view considering he is from where the Witch Trials took place and that horrific event was known for the death of innocent people including children and its countless lies. Nevertheless, I believe that it’s not black and white, people aren’t purely good or purely bad unless on it’s a grand scale. There are some definitely evil people out there who commit crimes, but there are also some good people who might’ve done bad things in life, or people who changed for the better, etc.

#92765

Kyyoung98

1. Salem, Massachusetts, is a city filled with culture, history, and folklore, best known for its connection to the Salem Witch Trials.

2. The characters names are notable for their symbolic importance rather than their realism.

3. In J.K. Rowling “Harry Porter”, the character name Professor Severus Snape implies his severe and harsh demeanor.

4. The object associated with the wife’s appearance is a pink ribbon. The pink ribbon symbolizes faith, purity, and innocence.

5. I would approximate Goodman and his wife to be in their early twenties.

6. The newlywed young man leaves his nervous wife on this particular night to embark on a journey in the forest. He is going to participate in a secret meeting frequently interpreted as a witch’s Sabbath.

7. The sense that something odd is happening is when Goodman ventures deeper in the forest and encounters various characters and symbols associated with temptation and darkness.

8. Near the end of Goodman’s journey, he sees a fiery alter in the forest, where the members of the community are about to do a dark ritual.

9. When Goodman reaches his destination, he discovered a gathering of prominent members of the community participating in a sinister ritual.

10. When Goodman sees his wife object he reacted in despair, fear, and shock.

11. When Goodman cries out “My Faith is gone” he is acknowledging the loss of his wife and the loss of his own faith in the world and its dwellers.

12. The story is narrated by a third-person narrator. The narrator asks if this story was a dream to emphasize the vagueness and uncertainty surrounding Goodman’s experience in the forest.

13. No I do not mind if this story was a dream or not. A story where the sequences turn out to be a dream was “The Wizard Of Oz”. In the sequences the main character Dorthy is swept away by a tornado to this magical land of Oz where she encounters various creatures that help her on her quest to find the Wizard that can help her home. However, it turned that that Dorthy was knocked unconscious by the tornado, waking up in her bed surrounded by friends and family.  To be honest I was disappointed that it was a dream because as a kid watching “The Wizard Of Oz” I really believed the Wizard would help her home just to find out it was all a dream.

14. I have been influenced by a dream to take action. One of those dreams involved me finding love and one month later I found love actually how I dreamt it. I was so relieved by that dream because it showed me some dreams do come out true.

15. To be honest I’m a very pessimistic person myself so I believe even the good people do some bad and the bad people do some good; reason being is because in life you will witness people you think are good people do some bad and people you think are bad people do some good.

#92807

Yaritza Torres

1. One thing I know about Salem, Massachusetts is the Salem witch trials. It was a series of trials of people being accused of witchcraft.
    2. The names sound unusual because they fit with their characters. The names fit with the character’s characteristics.
    3. The name Darth Vader from the Star Wars movies has symbolic meaning as it translates to “dark father.” It is revealed later that Darth Vader is the father of Luke Skywalker, the hero.
    4. The object that is associated with Goodman’s wife is a pink ribbon because it symbolizes her innocence.
    5. They are probably in their late teens or early twenties. I think this because, in those days, young people got married. After all, life expectancy was low and it was socially unacceptable to have sex before marriage.
    6. The husband leaves his nervous wife to go to the woods because he wants to see the devil.
    7. I started to sense that something odd was happening because men started walking next to him and saying weird things that made Goodman uncomfortable.
    8. A few other odd things that I noticed were when he saw random people doing a ritual in the woods during nighttime.
    9. Upon arriving at his destination, he witnesses people he has previously met performing a ritual involving the devil.
    10. When he sees his wife’s object, he feels angry and betrayed because he relayed that his wife is not as innocent as he believed.
    11. When he says “My faith is gone” he is referring to his faith in his religion and his faith in his wife.
    12. The narrator is in a 3rd person point of view because the narrator is referring to the characters by their names. The narrator asks if it was all just a dream because he wants his audience to reflect, consider, and compare the events that transpired and real life.
    13. To me, it matters if the story was a dream. It deflates the excitement because everything I read was fake. The Wired of Oz is a film in which everything turns out to be a dream. The conclusion disappointed me since it showed me that this universe’s version of the Land of Oz was fabricated.
    14. I have had a dream where I was influenced by the real world. I once had a dream about snakes and for the entire day I didn’t want any blankets on me and I didn’t want to sit down on a bed or couch because I was afraid that a snake would come out of nowhere and attack me.
    15. I understand the author’s perspective. Since it takes work to be good, I believe that there are more awful people than good people. People don’t do good until it serves their self-interests; they don’t do any good unless it benefits themselves.

#92808

Sofia Quinde

1. Salem, Massachusetts is well known for the Salem Witch trials in 1692. Innocent people were accused of witchcraft and executed.

2. The character’s names seem odd but that’s because their names are commonly used as words and have meaning.

3. Merida from the Pixar film Brave has great meaning behind her name means bravery and honor, by the end of the film Merida expresses both bravery and honor for saving her mother and learning the importance of family and empathy.

4. The pink ribbon represents purity, Young Goodman Brown views his wife (Faith) as someone pure.

5. Young Goodman Brown and Faith must be a young newlywed couple since during that time many marry young because the lifespan for humans during that time was short.

6. Young Goodman Brown left to go to the woods because he felt the apprehension to do so, to find his “faith”.

7. The ambiance begins to feel off when Goodman Brown encounters various skittish and abnormal characters. Also, there can be symbolism of temptation and darkness as we see Young Goodman Brown strolling down the forest.

8. Young Goodman Brown stumbled upon a ritual.

9. He encountered the off-putting people he met during his stroll in the forest performing the ritual.

10. Young Goodman Brown feels livid and betrayed because his views of his pure innocent wife were all a facade.

11. His faith in religion and his wife are both gone.

12. The story is written from 3rd person’s point of view because the narrator is narrating the story of the character(s).

13. It does not matter to me if, by the end of the story, everything was just a dream, I think it is somewhat good writing because it leaves the readers to question if what they read was true or just a dream.

14. I had a dream where both my grandparents died, I woke up crying with the feeling of anguish and despair. The rest of the day I spent my time with both my grandparents because my dream woke me up to reality, knowing the fact both my grandparents would not be here with me forever, and it hurt.

15. Everyone is good and everyone is bad, in my opinion, no one is perfect or a good person, that just sounds unrealistic. Everyone has their flaws.

#93348

ibrahim

1. Salem, Massachusetts, is known for its infamous witch trials that took place in the late 17th century. It was a Puritan settlement and became the center of a hysteria that led to the execution of numerous people accused of witchcraft.

2. The names of the characters in “Young Goodman Brown” are quite symbolic and unusual. For example, the protagonist’s name, Goodman Brown, suggests his everyman status and his moral standing, while his wife’s name, Faith, represents his religious beliefs and the purity he associates with her.

3. In other stories, such as Nathaniel Hawthorne’s “The Scarlet Letter,” the characters’ names also carry symbolic meanings. For instance, Hester Prynne’s name reflects her role as a “sinner” bearing the burden of her scarlet letter, while Reverend Dimmesdale’s name suggests his concealed inner struggles.

4. Faith’s pink ribbon is associated with her appearance. It symbolizes innocence, purity, and her devotion to Goodman Brown. The repetition of this object emphasizes its significance in representing Faith’s virtue.

5. Goodman and his wife are likely in their late teens or early twenties. During the time period depicted in the story, people often married at a young age, and considering their recent marriage and societal norms of the era, they would have been relatively young.

6. Goodman Brown leaves his nervous wife on this particular night to attend a mysterious gathering in the forest. He is going to participate in a secret meeting or ritual, which he is curious about but also apprehensive.

7. The sense that something odd is happening arises when Goodman Brown encounters an old man who resembles his grandfather’s appearance. This encounter sets an eerie tone and foreshadows the supernatural events to come.

8. Some highly unusual things Goodman Brown sees during his journey include witnessing familiar townsfolk and religious figures participating in the gathering, seeing his wife Faith at the gathering despite her innocence and purity, and encountering a dark figure resembling the devil.

9. At his destination, Goodman Brown finds himself at a sinister ceremony in the forest, where he witnesses townspeople, including respected members of the community and religious leaders, engaging in dark rituals and making pacts with the devil.

10. When Goodman Brown sees Faith at the gathering, he reacts with shock and disbelief. He is deeply troubled by her presence, as it shatters his perception of her innocence and purity.

11. The double meaning of Goodman Brown’s cry, “My Faith is gone,” refers both to his wife’s physical absence from his side and to his loss of faith in her innocence and goodness. It also symbolizes his loss of religious faith and trust in the righteousness of his community.

12. The story is narrated by an omniscient narrator who provides insight into Goodman Brown’s thoughts and experiences. The narrator’s omniscience allows for a deeper exploration of Goodman Brown’s psyche and the underlying themes of the story. The narrator questions whether the events of the story were a dream to highlight the ambiguity and uncertainty surrounding Goodman Brown’s experiences.

13. The revelation that the story may have been a dream adds to its ambiguity and allows for various interpretations. Whether it was a dream or reality, the impact of the events on Goodman Brown remains significant. Stories that involve dream sequences can evoke different responses from readers, ranging from disappointment to intrigue, depending on how effectively they are executed within the narrative.

14. Dreams can often influence individuals to take actions or reflect their subconscious desires and fears. While some people may forget their dreams quickly upon waking up, others may be deeply affected by them.

15. The author’s pessimistic view of humanity in “Young Goodman Brown” raises questions about the inherent nature of people. While some may agree with Hawthorne’s portrayal of human nature as essentially flawed, others may believe in the inherent goodness of individuals despite their imperfections. The interpretation of human nature often varies based on personal beliefs, experiences, and observations of human behavior.

#93401

braulio

<p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; background-color: #ffffff; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; padding: 0pt 0pt 11pt 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 10pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>1. In Salem, Massachusetts locals practiced witchcraft and held witchcraft trials in the 17th century. It is home to the “Witch House” and former trial judge home.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; background-color: #ffffff; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; padding: 0pt 0pt 11pt 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 10pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>2. The names are unusual because they aren’t common but I think both names are symbolic of their characters</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; background-color: #ffffff; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; padding: 0pt 0pt 11pt 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 10pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>3. I don’t know any stories that have characters with symbolic names</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; background-color: #ffffff; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; padding: 0pt 0pt 11pt 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 10pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>4. The pink ribbon is associated with Goodman’s wife’s appearance and symbolizes her innocence.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; background-color: #ffffff; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; padding: 0pt 0pt 11pt 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 10pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>5. I would estimate Goodman and his wife to be in their teens or early twenties since people at the time did marry very young. The guy who perceived Goodman also called his wife 20 while mocking her so I think they’re both around that age or maybe Goodman is a little older.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; background-color: #ffffff; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; padding: 0pt 0pt 11pt 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 10pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>6. Goodman leaves his nervous wife to go to a meeting he had in the woods. I wonder why, maybe the errand he had was with the devil, or ran into him accidentally.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; background-color: #ffffff; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; padding: 0pt 0pt 11pt 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 10pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>7. I began to sense something odd was happening where he was walking when the strange man started walking side by side with him and speaking about things that made Goodman uncomfortable.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; background-color: #ffffff; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; padding: 0pt 0pt 11pt 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 10pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>8. Unusual things he saw were people he knew in the woods, and “pious” people participating in rituals.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; background-color: #ffffff; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; padding: 0pt 0pt 11pt 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 10pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>9. When he gets to his destination, the devil is there, and a ritual is full of people he knows from the community.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; background-color: #ffffff; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; padding: 0pt 0pt 11pt 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 10pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>10. When he sees his wife object he is shocked and upset that his wife isn’t as innocent as he thought she was.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; background-color: #ffffff; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; padding: 0pt 0pt 11pt 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 10pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>11. The double meaning of “My Faith is gone”, is his wife was physically no longer with him at the ritual, and his religious faith was shaken.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; background-color: #ffffff; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; padding: 0pt 0pt 11pt 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 10pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>12. The narrator is omniscient, he or she knows how the characters feel and think. The narrator asks if it was a dream so that the readers would feel uncertain and come up with their answers/ideas, making the story more interesting.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; background-color: #ffffff; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; padding: 0pt 0pt 11pt 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 10pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>13. </span><span style=”font-size: 10pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>To me, it matters if the story was a dream. It ruined the excitement because everything I read was fake. The Wirzed of Oz is a movie in which everything turns out to be a dream. The conclusion was a letdown because it showed that it was just fake.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; background-color: #ffffff; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; padding: 0pt 0pt 11pt 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 10pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>14. Goodman’s life is influenced in a way where he doesn’t trust anything and is suspicious now. I forget my dreams most of the time.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; background-color: #ffffff; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; padding: 0pt 0pt 11pt 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 10pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>15. Hawthorne has a pessimistic view of people even if they do good actions probably based on experiences. If he comes from Salem, Massachusetts, and witnessed witchcraft over there, I’d understand why his view is pessimistic. I do think there are good and bad people, the way people grow up changes how they are.</span></p>
    <span id=”docs-internal-guid-752b9e35-7fff-ec00-ac05-9b90d9e18b40″> </span>

#93737

Monique
    #93845

Ebnay

1)I know the Salem witch trials occurred in Salem, Massachusetts where a series of investigations and persecutions caused suspected witches to be hanged and imprisoned.

2)The unusual thing about the character’s names is the symbolism.

3)I can’t think of any characters.

4)The object that’s associated with Goodman’s wife is her pink ribbons. It symbolizes her childlike purity.

5)I believe they are around 19 years old.

6)This newlywed young man leaves his nervous wife to take a journey into the woods. He was going to Boston to sin.

7)I sensed something was wrong once he began to conversate with a familiar man to him in the sense that it was just an older version of him.

8)The staff that was wriggling like a snake was strange along with the fact he was seeing familiar townsfolk in the forest with him.

9) Satan’s convocation is happening in the forest where the townsfolk and his were attending.

10)He is filled with despair and starts to go into a state of hysteria.

11)Goodman’s belief in the Puritan faith is gone and so is his wife.

12)I believe the author is omniscient where he asks questions for the reader to have their own answers.

13)It doesn’t matter to me if the story was a dream or not. The only story I can think of is The Wizard of Oz and I was disappointed that it turned out to be a dream. It felt as if the whole adventure was pointless.

14)I tend to quickly forget my dreams but I do get disappointed when I wake up from a dream because I like being asleep.

15)I can see why the author view point is like that. The way I see it is that it’s all up to your position where if it is easier to good or evil you would do said thing.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)