ENG 1121 English Composition II OL 44 (30314)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Feb. 6 (1 of 2) homework on sentence types for Thu. Feb 8

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

TO DO read and post here (click on “reply” to do that) for A through D

You may Google this:
    A) Please make and post a list of as many “prefixes” as you can find
    A prefix is a piece of a word that when added to a word creates a new one. For example, un- is a prefix. When you add it to a word like “forgettable” you get a new word: “unforgettable.”

B) Please make a list of words you already know that begin with the “prefix” co-
    TO READ
    Compound sentences
    Explanation of sentence types:
    https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writing/academic_writing/sentence_variety/sentence_types.html

Conjunctions

Conjunctions are simple words that allow you to connect two sentences without having to change any of the words in the original sentences:
    and, but, nor, or, so, yet, for Some teachers tell students to think of the acronym FANBOYS to help remember — for, and, nor, but, or, so
    Example: Maria created a résumé. She copied it on expensive, high-quality paper. Her prospective employer was not accepting resumés.

Revision: Maria created a résumé, and she copied it on expensive, high-quality paper, but her prospective employer was not accepting résumés.

You already did this next part, C
    C) Write five (5) original compound sentences and post your answers to A,B, and C.

Please note, do not worry about “nor.” It is not going to help in this brief assignment.

Also note that saying “Jack and Jill went up the hill” is only a simple sentence that has two subjects. A true compound sentence will have two complete thoughts that can be “cut into two”:

“Jack fell down and broke his crown, and Jill came tumbling after.” This is a true compound sentence, because there are two complete halves. If you cover the word “and” you actually see two sentences.

To Read and SAVE:
    This link is very useful and worth keeping (downloading and printing for easy access in a traditional paper notebook):
    https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writing/punctuation/independent_and_dependent_clauses/index.html

TO DO
    Make sure, after reading the above information, that you know the differences between compound sentences and complex sentences.
    D) Write and post five original complex sentences, the ones that have one independent clause and one dependent clause.
    Ex. The students were happy because the class ended early.
    or Since the class ended early, the students were happy.

tanya
    Participant

A)Be-, de-, dis-, ex-, in-, mis-, non-, over-, pre-, re-, uni-

B)Coexist, coworker, coalition, cofound, copartner

C)1.She was tired from work, and she decided to take a nap. 2.She went out for breakfast, but she went to a new cafe. 3.Sarah went to school, but she woke up late from sleeping late. 4.She wanted to be a nurse, but she was scared she wouldn’t get accepted into the program. 5.Sarah enjoyed watching soccer, but she was bad at playing it.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by tanya.

Ryan Santoso
    Participant

A) non-, over-, pre-, re-, uni- and with

B) Coach, Copilot, Cohesive, Correlate, Cooperate, and Coordinate.

C) 1. I like cats and I like dogs.

2. He studied hard for the exam, but he still didn’t pass.

3. I enjoy reading books, but I also love watching movies.

4. She went to the store, and she bought some groceries.

5. I enjoy reading books, but I also love watching movies.

D) 1. I will go to the party if I finish my homework early.

2. He couldn’t go to the concert because he had to work overtime.

3. He felt sleepy because he stayed up late watching movies.

4. When the sun sets, the sky turns dark.

5. Because the traffic was heavy, they arrived late to work.

arslan
    Participant

<p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>A)</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>1. A- (not, without): amoral, apolitical</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>2. Anti- (against, opposite): antibiotic, antisocial</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>3. Auto- (self): autobiography, automobile</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>4. Bi- (two): bicycle, bilingual</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>5. Co- (together, with): cooperate, coexist</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>6. De- (opposite, remov): decompose, devalue</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>7. Dis- (not, opposite of): disagree, disappear</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>8. Ex- (out of, former): exit, ex-president</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>9. Extra- (beyond, outside of): extraordinary, extracurricular</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>10. Hyper- (over excessive): hyperactive, hypersensitive</span></p>
    <b id=”docs-internal-guid-52c8eaca-7fff-abfb-7a06-d8d09c59d8de” style=”font-weight: normal;”>

</b>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>B) </span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>1- Cooperation </span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>2- Coexist </span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>3-  Coordinate</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>4- </span><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Roboto,sans-serif; color: #202124; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>correlate</span></p>
    <b style=”font-weight: normal;”> </b>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Roboto,sans-serif; color: #202124; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>C)</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Roboto,sans-serif; color: #202124; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”> 1) I love to travel, but I also enjoy the comfort of being at home.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Roboto,sans-serif; color: #202124; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>2) She studied hard for her exams, yet she still struggled to achieve high grades.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Roboto,sans-serif; color: #202124; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>3) He is a talented musician, so he decided to pursue a career in music.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Roboto,sans-serif; color: #202124; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>4) The sun was shining brightly, and the birds were chirping happily in the trees.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-left: 36pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Roboto,sans-serif; color: #202124; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>5) They went hiking in the mountains, and afterwards, they enjoyed a picnic by the lake.</span></p>

Osman
    Participant

A)1.un-
    2.dis-
    3.mis-
    4.re-
    5.pre-
    6.anti-
    7.post-
    8.non-
    9.sub-
    10.in-
    11.im-
    B) cooperate,coordinate,coexist,coauthor,coeducation,coherent
    c)1. The sun set, and stars twinkled.
    2. She studied hard but felt anxious.
    3. The cat napped, then perked up at the can opener.
    4. They hiked after packing.
    5. Rain poured, but children played in puddles.
    D)
    1. Although the weather was gloomy, they decided to go for a hike in the mountains.
    2. After studying for hours, she realized that the exam covered material she hadn’t reviewed.
    3. As the sun set behind the horizon, the city came alive with the vibrant glow of its evening lights.
    4. Despite their differences, the team members worked collaboratively to achieve their common goal.

5. Because the traffic was unusually heavy, they arrived at the airport later than expected, missing their flight.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Osman.

Caitlyn Murphy
    Participant

A) un-, re-, pre-, dis-, mis-, sub-, inter-, anti-, bi-, auto-

B) cooperate, collaborate, coordinate, cohesive, copilot, convey, cordial.

C) Our car broke down, so we took a taxi. The pain was really bad, yet he refused to see a doctor. It’s gone 8 pm, he still hasn’t arrived. There is no milk in the fridge, nor is there any bread in the cabinet. I would have passed the exam, but I didn’t study enough.

D) While I am a passionate basketball fan, I prefer football.  Although she was considered smart, she failed all her exams. Although it was raining, they decided to go for a walk. Since he arrived early, he had time to relax. Whenever it rains, I like to wear my red coat.

JaNiya J
    Participant

A. be-, dis-, ex-, in-, mis-, non-, pre-, re-, uni, and with-

B. Co-operative, co-rrelate, co-llaborate, co-founded, co-exist

C.

1. i like cooking but i don’t like doing dishes.

2.i work quickly and carefully.

3.neither the black nor white dress for me how i wanted.

4. i try to get good grades in school yet it hasn’t happened.

5. id like to get a bike for commuting to work.

D.

1. i waited for the bus but it was late.

2. jill ate the hamburger and bobby ate fries.

3. i like swimming and i like running.

4. she doesn’t like apples but she likes bananas.

5. he has a dog and he has a cat too.

Gana Elhanafy
    Participant

A) Non-, Un-, Anti-, A-, Ab, Post-

B) Coworker, Copilot, Coexist, Coordinate, Costar

C) 1 He collected wood and he started a fire.
    2 She went to school early and spent her free time in the library.
    3The fisherman hooked the bait and he caught a fish.
    4 He studied for many hours and he passed the test.
    5He went on a diet so he can lose weight.

You need commas in most of these. I added numbers to distinguish each from the other. Number 2 is not compound because after “and” you do not have another subject word.

D) If I finish my homework, I will join you for dinner. He couldn’t go to school because he was sick.

3 The cat was sick
    so it took a vaccine. Number 3 has the wrong type of conjunction.

He missed the test because he was late to class. I like to wear my sunglasses whenever it’s sunny outside.

Overall: good but room for improvement.

Yaritza Torres
    Participant

A: dis-, mis-, non-, pre-, uni-.

B: Cohesive, correlate, corporate, coexisting, coordinate.

We made changes in class on Tuesday where there were errors, Yaritza.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________
    C: 1. It’s almost 12 a.m, and I’m still working on my English paper.

2. She loves dogs, but complains when they bark.

3. He wants to lose weight, yet keeps eating chocolate cake.

4. She works out daily, so she is healthy and fit.

5. I studied for the exam, yet I still struggled.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

D: 1. Maggie sipped her coffee while her children played.

2. She went to the doctor’s office because she felt sick.

3. My dad works two jobs because he has to feed his family.                                                                                           

4. Even though she suffered from chronic migraines, she studied hard to get into medical school. The complex ones are all correct!

Juan B
    Participant

A) Pre- , Mis-, Dis-, Sub-, Un-, Non-, over-, anti-, bi-, auto-
    B) Cooperate, Cofounder, coworker, copilot, coexist
    C) I love my dogs, but I would love to own a cat. He had a headache, so he took an Advil. I went to get lunch, but I went with a friend this time. My pizza was cold, so I reheated it. I enjoy watching basketball, but I am not good at playing basketball.
    D) After I finish my homework, I enjoy taking my dog for a walk. While I was driving home, I heard a weird noise coming off the engine of my car. Although I was exhausted from work, I stayed up late to finish my math homework. Due to the heavy rain, I decided to play fetch with my dog at home. After saving enough money, I took a trip to six flags with my friends.

Rafael Rocha
    Participant

Mostly very good work.

A: Pre, anti, Bi, Dis

B:Cooperate, Coordinate and Coexist

C:  1: She went to the store, and bought some groceries You need a second subject after your conjunction.

2: The sun was shining brightly, so we decided to go for a walk in the park.

3: I finished my homework early, but I still couldn’t find my book.

4: He likes to play Basketball, but he prefers soccer. [b]

5:She wanted to travel to Europe this Summer, but couldn’t get time off work. [s]

D: 1: While she was studying for her exams, Sarah realized that she had forgotten to bring her textbooks.

2:After the storm had passed, the residents emerged from their homes to assess the damage

3: Because she had missed the train, John decided to take the bus instead. John is a male name!

4: Since they had arrived early for the meeting, the team members decided to review their presentation one last time.

5:While driving through the countryside, Jonathan admired the scenic views that stretched out over the horizon

braulio
    Participant

Mostly good. Why aren’t you capitalizing correctly?

<span style=”font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;”>A) Pre- , Dis-, Sub-, Un-, Non-, over-, co-, auto-</span>

<span style=”font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;”>B) Cooperate, Cofounder, coworker, copilot, coexist </span>

<span style=”font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;”>C)</span>

1. I did not cheat on the test, for it was the wrong thing to do.
    2. I really need to go to weak, but I am to sick to drive.
    3. I am counting my calories, yet I really want dessert.
    4. he ran out of money, so he had to stop playing poker
    5. [He]

6. we got here early, and we got really good seats

D)

1.  he was late again to work, he would be docked a day’s pay.
    2. [He] There is no joining word, so this is a comma-splice.

3. While I am a passionate soccer fan, I prefer handball.
    4. Although she was considered smart, she failed all her exams.
    5. Whenever it rains, I like to wear my blue coat.
    6. even though it was late, he continued to work on the project.
    7. [Even]

Kyyoung98
    Participant

<p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 12pt; margin-bottom: 12pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>A) Anti-. Auto-, Bi-, Ex-, Pro-, Trans-, Under-</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 12pt; margin-bottom: 12pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>B) Coexist, Coalition, Collective, Coincide, Company</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 12pt; margin-bottom: 12pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>C) 1. </span><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #0d0d0d; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>Kevin completed his homework early, so he decided to go for a walk in the park.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 12pt; margin-bottom: 12pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>2. </span><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #0d0d0d; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>Michelle loves to read novels, but she also enjoys watching documentaries.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 12pt; margin-bottom: 12pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>3. Raquel finished her chores quickly, so she rewarded herself with a slice of cake.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 12pt; margin-bottom: 12pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>4. </span><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #0d0d0d; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>Olivia baked a batch of cookies, and she invited her friends over for a movie night.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 12pt; margin-bottom: 12pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>5. </span><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #0d0d0d; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>Nick plays basketball on weekends, and he practices the piano every evening.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 12pt; margin-bottom: 12pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>D) 1. </span><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #0d0d0d; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>Since she forgot her umbrella, Rachael had to sprint home in the pouring rain.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 12pt; margin-bottom: 12pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>2. </span><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #0d0d0d; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>After finishing his homework, Derek decided to relax and watch a movie.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 12pt; margin-bottom: 12pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>3. </span><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #0d0d0d; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>Despite feeling exhausted, Daisy stayed up late to finish her project.</span></p>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 12pt; margin-bottom: 12pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #333333; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>4. </span><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; color: #0d0d0d; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>When the alarm clock rang, Stacey reluctantly dragged herself out of bed.</span></p>
    <span id=”docs-internal-guid-309cad57-7fff-8813-e31d-1e0b2612e73e”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’, serif; background-color: transparent; font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; font-variant-alternates: normal; font-variant-position: normal; vertical-align: baseline; white-space-collapse: preserve;”>5. </span><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’, serif; color: #0d0d0d; background-color: transparent; font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; font-variant-alternates: normal; font-variant-position: normal; vertical-align: baseline; white-space-collapse: preserve;”>Although she studied diligently, Kelly still felt nervous about the exam.</span></span>

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Kyyoung98.

Sofia Quinde
    Participant

A: anti-, hyper-, pre-, non-, un-

B: Coworker, Cohrisive, Coexist, Corporate, Community

Unfortunately, none of part C was correct since they each didn’t have two complete thoughts.

C (1): Adam wanted to buy a new TV, but had no money. You need a subject before “had”

2. Viviene ate vanilla cake but prefer[s] chocolate cake You need a subject before “perfers”

3. Kemp’s hair looked very shiny today, it’s because she used the best and most expensive quality shampoo. add a conjunction before “she.”

4. Lucille was great in English but struggled in math. You need a subject before “struggled”

5. Isabella enjoyed eggs for breakfast but preferred pancakes. You need a subject before “preferred”

D (1): Even though it was snowing outside, Sean still went out for a walk.

2. River woke up late and went to his nearest deli to buy a bagel and coffee.

3. Marcia wanted to go out tonight but had work in the morning

4. Gwen could see Miguel was a nice guy but she still did not if she could trust him.

5. Jillian was busy, but still made time to see her best friend.

arslan
    Participant

Very nice work, Arslan. Also, please see the list of transitionals that I emailed you.
    A)
    1. A- (without, not): amoral, atypical
    2. An- (not, without): anaerobic, anarchy
    3. Anti- (against, opposite): antibiotic, antithesis
    4. Auto- (self): autobiography, automatic
    5. Bi- (two): bicycle, bilingual
    6. Co- (together, with): coexist, cooperate
    7. Con-/Com- (with, together): connect, communicate
    8. De- (reverse action or removal): defrost, deactivate
    9. Dis-/Dys- (not, apart): disagree, dysfunctional
    10. Extra-/Ex- (beyond): extraordinary, exclude

B)
    1. Coexist
    2. Collaborate
    3. Coordinate
    4. Cooperate
    5. Combine
    6. Cohesion
    7. Compatibility
    8. Contribute
    9. Comprehend
    10. Communicate

c) 1- I love spending time outdoors, hiking through the mountains and exploring new trails; however, I also enjoy cozying up with a good book on a rainy day.
    2- She had studied diligently all semester, sacrificing her social life for academic success; as a result, she achieved the highest grade in the class.

3- Despite facing numerous challenges along the way, they never lost sight of their ultimate goal: to create positive change in their community and inspire others to do the same.
    3 is a fine sentence, but it is not an example of a compound.
    4- The movie was thrilling, so we decided to watch it again.
    5- She studied hard for her exams, but she still felt nervous about her performance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.