ENG 1121 D476 Fall 2019

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Due 9/10 by 5PM: Response to Anne Lamott

Arturo Rosales
    Participant

1. In the past my writing process was simple I’ll do a first draft, let someone revise my work and then I’ll go straight to the final copy. I would normally write two drafts a first and final draft, it would be rare for me to do three drafts in total. I don’t have any specific strategies when I’m revising or editing papers and I write my essays at home.
    2. I found this sentence interesting in Shitty First Drafts it says “One writer I know tells me that he sits down every morning and says to himself nicely,”It’s not like you don’t have a choice,because you do you can either type, or kill yourself.” It’s interesting to me because I thought students in high school or college say those types of things when they don’t know what to write about and only have a word or sentence in a page for a very long time.

Edward
    Participant

1. For me in the past it’s usually hard for me to stay on topic when I am writing. I usually have to write two to three drafts of my essay because the revision from my teacher. Lately when i am writing papers i loose focus of what i am writing about, so before starting my papers i make an outline i usually write a brief intro and then pick the topics for what I am going to write in the bodies then I make bullets of the major things that need to be in the bodies. I have to be in a quite place in order to write because then i cant concentrate or i have to be in my room it has to be quite and i cant have no one in my surroundings.

2. So an interesting line that caught my intention is “For me and most of the other writers I know, writing is not rapturous.” i don’t know but this is true like you are never writing the same thing twice when ever you are writing a paper.

Justin Andrew
    Participant

1) In the past, I haven’t seen myself as a ‘good writer.’ Yes, I often have great analysis’ but I don’t communicate them effectively. I would often find myself writing multiple drafts before I give in an essay, or any paper I have to do. My strategies for revisions and editing are primarily to check for repetition, swap basic words for high level vocabulary, make sure the writing is assertive, and proof read. I don’t have a go to place where I would rather write. However, immersing myself in music does help me to write to my best ability.

2) One sentence from “Shitty First Drafts” that caught my attention was in the first paragraph where it states “Very few writers really know what they are doing until they’ve done it.” This phrase stood out to me because I find it very relatable. I would often sit at my desk blanked out and thinking about what I will write about and how I will start it. It is only then I actually put a pen to the paper that I find myself ‘at one with the text’. Whenever we write, everything just comes naturally because in my opinion, writing can be comparable to socializing in real life!

haroodg
    Participant

1) To being my writing process I usually turn on some music and start jotting down ideas for the task at hand. This takes around 2-5 mins depending on the complexity of the assignment. After I would just continue writing until I’ve fulfilled the requirements then proofread and edit later. I rarely write multiple drafts for my paper. Only if the assignments calls for 1 or more draft then I do them. My strategies for revising and editing is reading what I wrote 2 or 3 times then letting someone else read it, like my dad if possible and finally just correcting grammar and punctuation. I don’t have a special place, I can write almost anywhere in any condition but I do prefer to write at home

2) One sentence that stood out as interesting from “Shitty First Drafts” is “Very few writers really know what they are doing until they’ve done it.” I found this sentence very relatable, I always find myself in a lucid state of being when I need to write something. Even when a prompt is given to me I find myself struggling to write something down. It’s always after I’m done and I read my work again I ask myself why did I take so long to write this obvious answer.

Farai Matangira
    Participant

1. My writing process in the past has always involved beginning with a layout of how I would structure the piece of writing. I would create a table with the 3 main parts or sections of the paper; the introduction, body, and the conclusion. For each main section, I would write bullet points of every idea until I have essentially a summarized version of the paper before writing the full one.

In terms of revising and editing papers, I mostly just proofread multiple times. I then put the paper aside for about an hour, then go through it again because I found that sometimes I would miss errors simply because I had been too absorbed into the paper. Therefore, taking a break and then going back to the paper would allow me to refresh my mind and spot any errors or even sometimes I would get better ideas and improve the paper.

I do not have a special place I go to write, however, I prefer to write in an environment where there aren’t too many sound distractions. I concentrate better in a quiet environment.

2. One sentence from “Shitty First Drafts” that was memorable or interesting to me was “start by getting something — anything — down on paper”. I found this sentence to be very interesting and relatable because this is how I try to mostly start my paper. Another interesting thing is that as an Architecture major at school, the first step to designing something is to sketch it down. Similarly to some papers, some of the greatest buildings to ever be designed were started on a simple piece of paper.

justinsteele
    Participant

1. The way my writing process has been like in the past was stressful. It would always take me a while to figure out what I’ll say in the essay. I’ve written about 3 drafts for each of my essays in the past. My strategies for reviewing and editing is checking for grammar, spelling mistakes, run on sentences, eliminating unnecessary words, adding details etc. My bedroom is my special place to write.

2. One sentence from “Shitty First Drafts” that is memorable is “people tend to look at successful writers who are getting their books published and maybe even doing well financially and think that they sit down at their desk every morning feeling like a million dollars.” This stood out because it’s takes hard work and discipline to become great. Not only does this apply to writing but for anything you want to pursue.

Joshua.
    Participant

In my past, my writing process has been very hard due to the fact that I use top rush in doing my essays. I always wrote 2 drafts, and then the final draft. My strategies for revising and editing include me checking for grammatical errors and spelling mistakes. My special place to write is either my bedroom or my backyard because it is where I feel most relaxed. One sentence from ” Shitty First Drafts”, that stood out to me is, ” Very few writers really know what they are doing until they’ve done it.” I agree with this statement because once writers get out of there comfort zone they can do anything.

Pema Choesang
    Participant

My writing process has been the same. Usually what I do is think about the subject that I am writing on, note down the important aspects that need to be achieved then simply get to writing. I do not really prepare any pre-draft for my writing.
    One sentence from “Shitty First Drafts” that’s interesting to me is “Very few writers really know what they are doing until they’ve done it.” Because I can relate to it. Every time I write, I get stuck in where and how to start. Writing down randomly helps me to navigate where I should be going towards and once I grasp the flow, I keep floating with the flow.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.