ENG 1101 CP15 22550 fall 2023

• Day 4 Home Work
  • #88391

maddyylutz

Part 1: Think of one specific incident that changed your views on education. Picture the scene

Part 2: review the slideshow we watched in class about what paragraphs are. You can find it “>HERE<

Part 3: write a blog post of at least two distinct paragraphs describing one specific incident that changed your views on education using Concrete, Significant detail. The incident you described in class will be a great place to start.

• This topic was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by maddyylutz.
    #88442

David Plunkett Jr

One day my father and I were in the car after a school day, he was driving me home. He asked how my day was at school. I answered saying good and went on talking about how good the history class was that day. He told me that’s good and all but not all history is real, most of it is actually made up. He told me how the winner of a war is the one who chooses how the story goes and gave very good points on how he thinks history is made up and it drove me to think he was right. He even had evidence behind him like the situation with America and how Christopher Columbus “discovering it”, if that was made up why can’t other stories in history be made up. Ever since that day I believed him and it all makes sense, I don’t believe most of history.

Another time my whole point of view on a subject was changed with math. I always liked math then I got to High School where I had to geometry. That geometry class was one of the hardest classes I had to take in my life. I think it was hard due to the circumstances but either way it still made no sense to me. I was late to class almost every day. I was coming from New Jersey to New York every day, but I couldn’t let the guidance counselor know or I would be kicked out of the school. I missed most of the formulas but had to study at home. I passed with an 80 and still almost failed due to how many lates I had in the year. I’ve taken algebra in 8th grade trigonometry and currently enrolled in college trigonometry nothing compares to that year of geometry I had. My mindset in that class was math made no sense and had nothing to do with my future when I’m usually having fun in math class.

#88451

angel.castano

It was a Monday afternoon when I had a really bad headache and stomach pain. For that reason, I decided to leave class early. While on the way out, I also notice a fever forming, I knew i was going to get sick. On the way to the train station, I decided to buy a slice of pizza because i haven’t ate almost the whole day, and usually i wouldve ate around 2 meals by that time. after taking a bite of the pizza, i lost all my appetite. But i still decided to finish the slice. On the way home after leaving the train station, i found one of my friends. so we were walking towards my house together. I told him how i felt really sick and feel like im about to throw up. he told me to start humming because it makes the throw up feeling go away. i listened, and that was the worst advice i ever listened too. the second i hummed, i felt my throw up go up my throat, i told my friend to back away from me and thats when i started vomiting all over the floor. I look to my left and hear someone asking me if i needed water. Then i look to my left and see my friend who look shocked. i was glad i left class early that day

I was in math class, when i thought i knew everything. we were starting a new unit. which i was already confident even before it started. However when i looked up at the board, it was something i would’ve never imagined. i thought she must’ve mistaken or something. But she said this was the correct question. I thought i would be fine because usually i would understand after they would explain. However that time, i was lost even after she explained. not only was i confused that day, but i was confused for the whole unit. I knew school was about to get 10x harder, which i was right. Made me realize school was going to stressful

#88454

Enray

Though my views on education and school weren’t and aren’t strong they did vary a lot at one point in time of my life. This, for me, was when I had recently finished 8th grade. For context, in my education experience before 8th grade, the school work was very easy for me, I had put forth minimal effort and did whatever I felt like. Attaining good grades and having good behavior wasn’t difficult but also was just expected of me and not rewarded. As a kid, I didn’t have the greatest behavior but I subconsciously maintained grades that would give me some leeway. I also never strove to be top of my class or best in any subject but I somehow was. These things gave me the false idea that I could pass any class with flying colors with minimal effort, with emphasis on “False”.

It was June 9th, 2020, as we all know this was the hectic time of the covid 19 pandemic, and though it didn’t affect my health or my family’s health it had a very negative impact on my schooling and education. On this particular day, I had received my final report card. the numbers on that screen were not only shocking it was devastating. For me, someone who had never failed a class had failed every single class. what made it worse was that I vividly remember my brother continuously making fun of me for failing and my mom telling me she was disappointed. I had always been better at school than my brother and most people even though I didn’t try, and I had never disappointed my mom in academic matters so the constant insults from my brother hit me hard. Though I learned it the hard way, I learned from that day forward that doing good in school takes effort, and now I try to put forth my best effort when it comes to school and my education so I have no regrets as big as my entire 8th-grade year.

#88458

Chanel T.

Growing up with immigrant parents there was a lot of non-negotiables, school being one of them. I think it is the fact that they want me to experience opportunities that weren’t available to them so they push me to exceed the limit to become better than they were. With that being said college was always a topic that would come up and they would always tell me that I had to go to college if I wanted to be somebody successful. So I thought that if I didn’t go to college I would be working at McDonalds or Walmart for the rest of my life.

It wasn’t until recently when I was talking to a teacher about future options I said I wanted to go to college but I’m still indecisive about what I want to do and that I’m scared I’m going to end up wasting my time to do something I’m not passionate about. He told me that college isn’t the only option out there and there are different programs that will give you a degree or a certificate for what you want to do and jobs will hire you based off of that. When I first heard that I was very surprised because I never heard of that before and it gave me a bit of peace of mind about my decisions on a career path because if I wanted to do something else I wouldn’t have wasted 2-4 years towards a degree that wouldn’t be accredited for something else that I would want to do. This changed my viewpoint on education because I always thought that going to college was the only way you would be able to get a decent career. It was instilled in me so I always said I was going to go without actually having a path. However, knowing that college isn’t the only option gave me an open mindset to the different possibilities that are out there. I always thought that the amount of time spent in school and the degree determine whether a job would hire you or not. That conversation gave me a lot of clarity about education as a whole.

#88460

Saharra

As everyone knows we take state standardized tests which are known as regents in New York which is a reflection of our knowledge throughout the year. Since freshman year ive had the same study habits as cramming the last month or a few weeks before the regents which kept me under pressure and overwhelmed. I thought i was one of those people who work better under pressure but i came to a realization i don’t, I need to manage my time better so i can maintain information. Regents week these last two years has always been a tough week due to my horrible study habits that I wish to improve on this year.

An incident that made me come to this conclusion on how I need to improve my study habits and manage my time better as well as retain information while studying is when I came back from my birthday trip in May. I went out the country to Bali for my birthday which is may 27th meaning i was busy packing and finding clothes most of that month , i ended up missing almost a week of school meaning regents was possibly a little under three weeks away and i done little to no studying and when i came back home some relatives came over and stayed at the house as well as one in my room. I couldn’t focus at all with another person being there and I was kind of uncomfortable about the situation and how it may affect my studying since there were 3 more people in the house making the environment louder. That situation changed my views on how I should have taken my education more seriously and should have prepared myself enough before my trip so that I could have been at least a little confident about regents despite the major disruptions in my household.

#88503

Brian Douglas

<p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Georgia,serif; color: #333333; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>During my junior year of high school I had did not want to bring my bad habits into the starting school year. I told myself that I’d stay ontop of my work. I started off very well in the first 2 months. After that, I started to procrastinate and I wasn’t as consistent as I used to be. The lack of urgency in due dates from my teachers made me become more laxed and care less about getting my work done on time because I had known they’d push the homework due date farther back. As the school year progressed the habit got worse. I thought to myself and self-evaluated. I had felt disappointed in myself for procrastinating as much as I had knowing I was better than that. I had made the decision to take my work and myself more seriously</span></p>
    <span id=”docs-internal-guid-72d7d01b-7fff-8359-31a7-271fad22917e”> </span>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Georgia,serif; color: #333333; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>
    </span><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Georgia,serif; color: #333333; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>During middle school  I was always extremely good at math. I found myself being able to solve problems at a faster rate than my peers most times. This made me develop somewhat of an ego when it came to math in general and caused me to never study the subject. I started to pay less attention whenever the teacher introduced a new formula or type of math problem because I had always understood it on my own better. When I began high school, I continued to feed into these bad habits when I took geometry. After viewing the work I was confused. Even after it being explained to me over I still did not fully understand the work. I had started studying more and doing reviews so that I did not fall behind or feel confused.</span></p>

#88504

Brian Douglas

During my junior year of high school, I did not want to bring my bad habits into the start of school year. I told myself that I’d stay on top of my work. I started off very well in the first 2 months. After that, I started to procrastinate and I wasn’t as consistent as I used to be. The lack of urgency in due dates from my teachers made me become more lax and care less about getting my work done on time because I had known they’d push the homework due date farther back. As the school year progressed the habit got worse. I thought to myself and self-evaluated. I had felt disappointed in myself for procrastinating as much as I had knowing I was better than that. I had made the decision to take my work and myself more seriously</span>

During middle school, I was always extremely good at math. I found myself being able to solve problems at a faster rate than my peers most times. This made me develop somewhat of an ego when it came to math in general and caused me to never study the subject. I started to pay less attention whenever the teacher introduced a new formula or type of math problem because I had always understood it on my own. When I began high school, I continued to feed into these bad habits when I took geometry. After viewing the work I was confused. Even after it was explained to me I still did not fully understand the work. I had started studying more and doing reviews so that I did not fall behind or feel confused.</span></p>

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)