ENG 1101 CP15 22550 fall 2023

• Day 3 Homework
  • #88368

Enray

After briefly reading “The Fourth of July”, by Audre Lorde an ingredient used in writing an education narrative paper or book is that it is written in the first person. Audre uses I, Me, I’d, and other words like this to progress the story in a personalized way because it’s about herself and her experiences in education. An example of this would be when Audre said, ” We were told we must never trust white people, but why was never explained, nor the nature of their ill will. Like so many other vital pieces of information in my childhood, I was supposed to know without being told.” This demonstrates her use of words like I to show growing up she personally had to reason things out herself without being informed by anyone else.

Another ingredient that is used in an educational narrative book is having a mixture of facts in the book so even if it’s mainly based on memory it can still have some form of credibility. This can be seen after reading, “Maybe I Could Save Myself By Writing”, by Jose Olivarez, He says, ” Here are the facts: My parents were born in Canadas de Obregon, Jalisco, Mexico. I was born in Chicago, Illinois … When my family moved to Calumet City, I knew I did not belong”. This demonstrates how Jose uses facts before the start of the story to boost its credibility when he starts recalling his memories from his own point of view. Hence making the story more believable and relatable.

Based on both texts I think I should start my own education narrative with some facts or factual descriptions of what was going on at that time. So far the education narrative stories haven’t spurred any questions in my mind but I am concerned about not having enough material to write about.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)