Courses

Name: GayAnn Messam

Community Health Nursing

New York City College of Technology

SELF REFLECTION

Community nursing has a great impact on me as a nurse. This is because it helps me to have a closer interaction and relationship with patients. Every patient does not get to meet the physician and don’t have enough time of consultation in the large hospitals. But it is made easy if there is a clinic just in the neighborhood. You get to have an insight to all the patients and observe well what is wrong with them. As a nurse, community nursing has given me a moment of reflection of my important role in the community. The following narration explains how I am going to fulfill my clinical objectives and my community nursing reflection.

Objective 1: Making an individual professionalism demonstration through my appearance and personal behavior        

I made sure that I met this objective by being always prepared and with all the nursing equipment that I am supposed to have. Some of these equipment’s would include note pads, nursing handbooks, blood pressure cuffs, stethoscopes and pulse oximeter. I would also make sure that I am dressed properly with the right recommended attire.

Objective 2: Employing analytical thinking and critical thinking skills.

Critical thinking in nursing field is very important because it helps nurses to prioritize and also to make important decisions. I would always approach my seniors whenever I had a problem when conducting my duties. I also made sure that I kept all the documents of the patients’ test readings like blood pressure. If the reading were abnormal, they were immediately reported and the staff member who was in charge would do a further assessment.

Objective 3: Communicate effectively with the diverse disciplines and groups  

Communication in nursing should be outstanding. Nursing requires very good skills of communication so that it can be effective. This is because, in order for the nurses to be effective in their work, they have to communicate with many people around them. As a nurse when I can communicate across clearly, I save time and work load is made easier.

Objective 4: Establishing an environment which is conducive to the learning

For this objective, I made use of the senior center’s computer lab for my research. The information I collected was from different internet sources but I mostly considered sources that provides practice research with evidence case. I would also make sure that the room that the presentations and the teachings are conducted has a room temperature and is also well lighted. Because the clients needed my help in different ways like asking questions and also give them assistance where I can, I always made sure that I am readily available for them to easily access me.

Objective 5: To be able to utilize informational technology during the management of families or individuals in the community          

Technology is used so much in the nursing industry. It helps me in documentation. It also helps to improve patient’s efficiency and outcome quality by patient documentation.

Objective 6: Commitment to professional development demonstration

I always made sure that all the written assignments that were specifically made to make my learning experience enhanced were completed. I would also complete the blog that allowed me to have discussions and also share with my peers and professors. I was also very considerate about my culture when I was interacting with clients of other different cultures.  I also understood that nursing is not easy and that it is faced by its own challenges. I was able to work with my clients and also their families independently.

Objective 7: Making sure that accountability and professional nursing standards are incorporated  

When addressing the client needs, I would work on developing the teaching plans and collect data by following the standards of care of American Nursing Association. I make sure that I am behaved and I do not do anything that is not in accordance to the center guidelines and rules.

Objective 8: Ensure a good collaboration of the clients, health care team members and also the support persons.         

I collaborate with the staff members so as to be well organized and also prepare for the nutritional presentations that we have to make. By collaborating with my clients, I give them advice on several health issues. I let them understand when they should consider seeing a doctor incase their health is in danger.

Objective 9: Know the impact of social, economic, political or demographic factors affecting the   health care service delivery.            

In community nursing, one should also know impacts of social, economic, demographic and political forces affecting health care services delivery. These forces’ impacts greatly affect the delivery of the health care services. All these forces influence the delivery of services either positively or negatively. Their impact mostly bring about a simple framework and also facilitates the bigger business environment understanding.

In conclusion, I feel more equipped with a lot of experience in my profession after working with and for the community. I believe that community nursing is helping so many people by saving them money and time. Working with the community has made me know many factors that affect the health of the community. It is better than the large hospitals because the clients are well attended to.