Week Four and Five – End of Internship + Freelanced Work

Upon completion of the hours for internship, I was told from Yue that the Foundation department was looking to hire a temporary freelance designer to create ads for a powerpoint presentation and will pay me for the work. With further information from Jewel Escobar, City Tech Foundation and Executive Director, she told me that I will be working on multiple projects. These projects involves editing and updating last year’s ads and creating new ads for the “Best of New York” program. The pay was hourly but the amount was not decided.

Throughout the course of the project, I was given more tasks to complete. For example, I was in charge of revising the auction cards, dinner cards, poster signs, and the honoree’s presentation. In total, it was about six projects that I am working on simultaneously. I was able to complete each assignment in roughly a day but the most tedious part was the revisions. The works were circulated around the department for proofreading and design adjustments. Each assignment has been revised at least five times before it was finalized. Due to my freelanced experience, I was able to be more organized with my files and be patient with my clients.

During this month’s internship and freelanced work, I’ve learned how to create an efficient workflow, satisfy the client’s requirements through compromising my design style and prepare myself for the outside industry.