The History of Mary Prince: Reading from pages 1-19 BY JAYME MONGE

A significant moment that really stood up to me was located in page 3 paragraphs 1 and 2 . It briefly explains how African Americans were slaves during that time period and how they were purchased by white people to do their every bidden. This significant moment reminded me of a  book that I read in middle school. The book was called Night John by Gary Paulsen. He was an African American slave who was purchased by a white man. Back in day African Americans were forbidden to learn and to be educated. They only had one task and it was to work in the plantation fields for hours. Night John was very diverse then the other slaves who worked in the fields. He was an educated slave who knew his alphabet. One day he met a female African American slave named Sarny who was willing to do anything to be educated. So Night John said ” If I teach you the alphabet and all the things I know you in return must give me some tabacco”. Sarny agreed to give him some tabacco in return to be educated. So day by day she would learn a new letter of the alphabet. If any African American were to get caught learning anything they would be either hanged, get their fingers cut off, and even sold to another white buyer. Sarny got caught learning and she was about to get whipped by the slave owner. The slave owner was brutal and a bigot but Night John decided to take her place instead he got his fingers cut off. This significant moment has similar situations in which a slave would have to be kept uneducated and would be sold to another buyer. The fact that African Americans were segregated and alienated from society sickens me. Just because they come from a diverse part of the world and their skin color is different. That doesn’t mean they should be mistreated like any other human being.