Krystal Corry – Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat (1-4)

To begin, chapters 1-4 of the novel Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat is very brief. However, although it doesn’t jump right into the main idea of the novel it gives us a lot of detail on the characters. Sophie Caco and her Tante (Aunt) Atie both live together in Croix-des-Rosets, Haiti. Sophie is twelve years old, goes to school and knows how to read so she is educated. Her school offers night classes for the adults/parents to attend to learn to read with the children being involved in the teaching. Sophie often finds her self longing for her aunt to go to the reading classes, but Tante Atie is very against it. When Sophie constantly asks her aunt to go to these classes, Tante Atie says things like, “I do not want a pack of children teaching me how to read.”,  “The young should learn from the old.”, and, Besides I have to rest my back when you have your class. I have work. ” What stood out to me is Tante Atie’s personal beliefs that were similar to how many older generations of people think. For example my mother would always tell me about how difficult it was for her growing up due to the heavy load of work, and chores that she had to take part in helping my grandmother out. It hurts me when my mom tells me her stories of her not getting the education she would have liked, or choose the path in life she would have much better preferred. I do think of my mom as being a very successful women, but it wasn’t easy for her. And just as Tante Atie believes in education for her younger generation, my mom does too because if they had the choice, the easy choice, education would have been top priority.