Krystal Corry – I, Tituba (Chapter 8-13)

Chapter 8-14 were very weird chapters for me. I often felt, saddened, happy, hopeful, confused, and eager while reading. Something I found to be hopeful was the way that the Jewish man Cohen d’Azevedo took care of Tituba. Tituba was saved out of jail by Cohen d’Azevedo, he wanted her too look after his nine children, because their mother had recently passed away. Cohen and his family were a very spiritual man and believed in ‘goodness’ so Tituba no longer had to deal with being whipped which I really appreciated. Cohen eventually took a liking in Tituba and began to encounter in sexual acts for her. It hurt me to see the way Tituba appreciated her new home, but at the same time was more so being used for her body by Cohen, because Tituba never really desired it the way he did. In class we often say that Tituba loves sex, but does she really? I believe Tituba never really had a choice to refuse it, so she just went along with it, which seemed better in her head than to be forced and raped.