Breath, Eyes, Memory Chapters 20-27

Based on what I have read Sophie is still in Haiti. During her time there Sophie had many discussions with her family members about the test and why women go through it. Tante Atie stated that “men insist that their women are virgins and have their ten fingers, Atie would then explain that each finger had a purpose “mothering, boiling, loving, baking, nursing, frying, healing, washing, ironing, scrubbing”.  This was the way Atie was taught in order to prepare herself to become a women. This sentence reminded me of the class discussion we had on Tuesday about how women where often seen as tools or objects by men. Another moment in the book that showed me that women where just seen as objects by men was the story the grandmother told about the “extremely rich man who married a poor black girl”. In their culture its seems to be very important that a man married a women who is untouched (virgin) or else the man’s honor and reputation would  be relinquish. The rich cared so much about  his reputation that he cut his soon to be wife between the legs so he can prove to the people in the town that she was a virgin, later on his actions against her would result in her death. When Sophie ask her grandma “why mothers put their daughters through the test” I was able to learn that if the daughter doesn’t pass the test not just her but the mother as well would be thought of as a disgrace, also the test in some type of way is preparing the daughter for a husband. Another moment I found interesting was when Sophie built up the courage to ask her mom “why you put me through those tests”. The mothers respond “because my mother had done it to me”, wasn’t really a shocker for me because I already had a feeling that the “test” was some type of family tradition.