Krystal Corry – I, Tituba (Chapter 5-9)

Just as we discussed in class with a negative out look on it. I too disliked, no, I hated the fact that Tituba wanted to be with a slave when she was already free and safely living with Mama YaYa. Tituba wanted to experience a ‘real love’ and she felt she could have got that with John Indian. Now that Tituba is with John Indian’s owners, Samuel Parris and his wife, Tituba grows a bond with Samuel’s Parris wife. Tituba sees that she is sick and tries to take care of her. Tituba also takes care of there two little girls, treating both them and the mother with remedies she has learnt from mama Yaya. I found that interesting that although white people treated black people so cruelly, Tituba still seen beyond that and looked for a persons sincerity beyond their skin color. Tituba is indeed courageous for that, and throughout the story we see ways at which Tituba is very open-minded. However in such a racist, demeaning society Titutba is often taking advantage of. Also the way that Samuel Parris treated Tituba and her husband John Indian very cruelly, she was still nice to his wife despite that. It goes to further prove Tituba’s beautiful personality.