Justin Eubanks – I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem Chapters 2 – 7 of Pt. II

It is apparent from reading Chapters 2 to 7 of Part II, that sexuality and feminism are definitely key themes in comprehending Tituba’s story.  Although this was implicit from the previous chapters, the scenes Conde portray here, bolster this claim ten-fold.  With this being said, there were two specific scenes that stood out in conjunction with this, and that caught my attention.  This also brings me back to my previous blog posts concerning that of relationships, particularly when we witness Elizabeth Parris visit Tituba when she is imprisoned in Salem.  Elizabeth Parris is extremely contrite, as she is now filled with guilt after realizing the scheme regarding Tituba so late. Here we learn that this repent may truly only be arising because the conspiracy against Tituba is now affecting the community and a large number of women who are innocent, but it can also be implied that Elizabeth’s sorrow is genuine.  Her confession that all of these women are being tried for witchcraft because of Abigail, further proves that her remorse is veritable.  Her request for forgiveness for not only herself, but also for Betsey who was one reason for Tituba’s confinement took a great amount of courage; but from Elizabeth’s more amicable personality, this was something I expected.

Tituba’s relationship with her cellmate Hester was also very important in fortifying elements of the story.  Conde was able to integrate the essence of feminism into the story simply through Tituba and Hester’s (although seemingly short lived) relationship.  When they are both in the cell discussing their situations and men, Conde tends to contrast their ideals concerning of being a woman in society.  When Hester describes Satan as “…sometimes being a black man,” I was definitely a little brought back by her principles, but it definitely drew the line diverging her and Tituba.  In a way, I scrutinized not only this scene, but their relationship as a whole as a way to contrast the morals or values of a white feminist and black womanist.  Tituba’s relationship with Hester has thus far been one of the strongest connections she has made, and Hester’s hanging is proving to have a huge toll on Tituba because of this.