Project I, Bahama

Members: Brannon, Daniella, Joel, Sean, and Valentina.

1. Pre-Production: Your Participation on Open Lab
2. Lighting: Rembrandt
3. Lighting: Split
4. Lighting: Butterfly in b/w & color
5. Contra Zoom (“Vertigo shot”)

6. Design Principles (2 elements)

7. Overlap (in addition to 2 elements of visual depth)
8. Your Production Participation/Attitude
9. Your Contribution to crew
10. Your Individual Achievements

9 thoughts on “Project I, Bahama”

1. The shots that we agreed as a group are:

• vertigo shot showing visual tension
    • cowboy shot with butterfly lighting
    • CS with spirit lighting
    • Over the shoulder displaying texture
    • MS proportion
  2. I was thinking we could do a shot next to the brick wall either in the entry of the building /columns like on the 5th floor or the bricks going up half the walls in the hallways to add some texture to the shot

3. Lighting: Split Lighting

For this I was thinking maybe we could try to add 2 subjects in the shot, both subjects will be in front of the black background and one person is standing slightly behind the other. If we don’t actually go with maybe, we can try it out.

Linear Perspective/ foreshortening

For linear perspective maybe we can do a shot where a person is walking down the hallway, but instead of the person walking away from the camera, they walk towards the camera. This will be a medium shot, and down a long narrow hallway.

For foreshortening as the person walking, we can angle the camera to where everything surrounding the actor appears to be closer than it actually is. This shot med-close shot up if possible.

Lighting Rembrandt

We can do this shot in the classroom against the black background, we start with a medium then slowing zoom in to a close up.

4. Lighting: Rembrandt

To setup this shot we would need to have a black background where the subject is sitting in a chair talking towards the camera as if it was a TV interview or documentary. The shot of the clip will be a medium shot

Lighting: Split

For this shot, I was think of having it be a close up on the subjects face, it starts out with the subject eyes closed looking down and as the lights turn on they slowly look up towards the camera

Lighting: Butterfly in b/w & color

The shot will have the subject sitting down holding a book in their hands as if they were reading a the book to the audience. How the clip would go ill be that the camera will be behind the audience and slowly zoom into the readers face up to a close up shot.

5. Contra Zoom (“Vertigo shot”)

Have the subject walk into frame from screen right and turn towards the window and look out into the distance, as the camera is doing the vertigo shot.

6. Design Principles (2 elements)

We can do a proportion and contrast, where we have 2 students sitting down at a table discussing about something. These 2 students will only be lit up with the key light from above while the rest of the room is dark to create contrast. A third student will come into frame behind them and walk towards the initial 2 students and grabs something off the desk. Camera will be placed on the same level as the table to create proportion when the 3rd student is walking in closer.

Overlap, Linear Perspective, foreshortening

Our camera will be setup facing down a hall way and the actor 1 is walking down (linear perspective), they reach the door and knock but no one answers, they turn and walk away. After a few seconds, actor 2 walks into frame and captures both actors, with actor 2 closer towards the camera than actor 1 (foreshortening), actor 2 then calls out and actor 1 comes back , and they start arguing leading actor 1 to be against a wall as actor 2 is keeping them there, the camera will be over the shoulder of actor 2 (overlap)

5. This group needs a lot of work. I see two comments below, but they are too short. FYI: This is what I just wrote in the thread of the other group; Whoever is not participating in this thread, you will receive “0” in pre-production of this project. Thoughtful comments are always welcome. Even if you have written some comments already, you can add a lot more. There is no need to wait for others to participate!

6. I was wondering for our Contra zoom (Vertigo shot) maybe we can change the location. I know we agreed to do this shoot this shot in Pearl Building, but I was thinking maybe we do it in hall outside of the class. It’s tighter space and think we can get better effect this way.

7. One idea I had was to do a cowboy shot and using a banana as a prop for the gun. It will be filmed in the classroom to achieve the butterfly lighting.