After-Class Writing: Victoria Fromkin’s “What is Language?”

Before our next class, write at least 250 words summarizing your reading and our lecture on Victoria Fromkin’s “What is Language?” chapter. Remember to write your summary elsewhere such as in Microsoft Word or Google Docs. Save your work. Then, copy-and-paste it into a comment made to this blog post. After you click “Post Comment,” wait a moment to verify that your comment is successfully posted on the page.

18 thoughts on “After-Class Writing: Victoria Fromkin’s “What is Language?””

1. After reading Victoria Fromkinā€™s ā€œWhat is Language?ā€ I was able to reflect upon my own experience being bilingual to help me understand her text. Language is a system of communication that uses sound or gesture. This means that while I may speak English and Spanish and someone else may speak French or German, we all use language in some form to communicate. I was able to appreciate a small assessment she included in her text, which asks the reader to read certain sounds, and see if we recognize any of them. While I didnā€™t recognize any of them, there are words from different languages that I do understand because I relate them back to either English or Spanish.
    According to Fromkin, there are 6 different characteristics of language. Universality, Complexity, Arbitrariness, Infinite Meanings, Finite Sounds, Grammar, and that Languages changes over time. As long as these are true for a language, they can be considered one, as long as it is adopted by a large group of people.
    She also helps us understand why we link certain sounds to objects. In class, we talked about the sound of the word ā€œTreeā€ and why we see a plant in our mind when we hear the sound. In this case, ā€œTreeā€ is the signifier, and the physical plant, or actual tree, is the signified. Language should be able to produce this link in oneā€™s mind. In language this is considered arbitrariness. No matter what language we know, they all work the same way in invoking understanding and feeling with the subject using said language.

2. How do you get the most out of life? “Language is the source of all human life and power.” Possessing structured language, good life and power are the intangibles of life that are important to humans. The way to communicate to six billion people plus is with language. We watch on television all the time speakers using sound and gestures to express their ideas. Not only does language help us receive message also to send messages. The structure of language is vital to help others. Victoria Fromkins relates these ideas in her work on The Nature of Language. To get where you are going , you have to know where you are coming from. The process of learning a language begins with phonemes then morphemes and lastly sentences. These three parts are the rudimentary of the language process. Victorias work is a stepping stone to the structure of grammar.

3. ā€œWe live in the world of language.ā€ Victoria Frompkin says this in order to captivate us with the knowledge of linguistics. According to the dictionary ā€œlinguistics is the study of language and its structure.ā€ Frompkin who is the author of An Introduction to Language allows us to gain comprehension towards what differentiates our language with foreign language, aphasic language, sign language, and animals. She describes the meaning of different sounds and noises that can be used as a type of communication. For example, a dog barking to another for their ball is a form of communication in which these two dogs understand. Frompkin then goes on to explain how each and every one of us has our own understanding of grammar, especially in the English language we constantly use grammar. But with different dialects or accents that we all carry varying from culture to culture, grammar isnā€™t exactly specified. It can be broken down into different components like for example, universal grammar. As we continue on to learn about linguistics, itā€™ll be interesting to see how different we all are and noticing the effects language can have in our lives.

4. The article ā€œWhat is Language?ā€ By Victoria Fromkinā€™s, focused on the importance of language and how we use it in our daily lives. It includes that we use language: when we talk, fight and even when we are sleeping. This text didnā€™t just give us a background information about language but in fact it included some form of perception to what language actually is. For instance: I always thought of any sound as a form of language, when there is a probability that it could turn to be just a sound that has nothing to do with any existing language. As mentioned in the textā€” when someone steps in our toe, we tend to yell ā€œouchā€ which could be understood in any language. This means that itā€™s not the word it-self that gives you the meaning behind it but itā€™s what you have been taught. For example we studied that the sound of ā€œa treeā€ makes us automatically think of a tree because we already know that a tree is that plant which comes to our brain due to the fact that we speak that language but for a person that doesnā€™t speak the same language, it could mean anything else to them. Additionally, the language help us to understand what a sign is and what it represents by going back to the mind; since everything we perceive and has to do with our existence is up to the brain. Which emphasizes the involvement of Aristotle famous saying ā€œ I think, therefore I amā€ to elaborate that it is incredibly hard to doubt your own existence because of the fact that ā€œyou thinkā€. And by knowing the language you have the ability to communicate with any person as long as they speak that language. It also gives you the ability to create your own language but other people have to understand it or else it would be useless.

5. Victoria Fromkin ā€œWhat is Language?ā€ talks about how people have different ways of viewing the languages. They have different ways of listening and speaking them, and it doesnā€™t mean we are wrong because every language has their own meaning and there isnā€™t wrong or right. People donā€™t understand that there are many ways of interoperating the language because every language have their own way of viewing the speech world. When reading this I start to understand that there are different ways of looking at the language speech because everyone has their own way of thinking and learning. I start to understand that we shouldnā€™t just look at it in our perspective but look at through it in a different perspective too because it can change the way you think about the world. It is the same for dogs because I have a dog of my own and when she barks, I always wonder what she is trying to tell me, and I would look at what my dog action and try and guess what she wants me to know. Sometimes I would know what she wants from me but other times no because all Iā€™m hearing is the sound of barking. If we know more about the language and sound in this world, we might understand people with disability and animals because we can understand what they are thinking and how they view the languages different from people without disability. People with or without disability view this language very differently which makes it more interesting.

6. Summary over Victoria Fromkinā€™s ā€œWhat is Language?ā€

Fromkin gives us an important overview into distinctions in language and linguistics. This initial chapter explains why arbitrary sounds signal meaning within a particular language, how language is universal but equal to differing languages, and various relations of grammar to linguistics.
    While language carries messages, there is no reason why the sounds that infer meaning carry that message. It is due to an individualā€™s ability to use language that meaning is created within the sounds. To expand on this point, we must recognize the sounds of a language are finite. Yet the way an individual combines and uses those sounds to create meaning, is infinite.
    Being that each particular language has a finite number of individual sounds, distinguishes that language apart from the others. While languages differ in many ways across the globe, the value of that language to the individuals it belongs is no different. This principle esteems all languages as equal in their ability to be useful and expressive. Likewise, all cultures communicate using language even from a young age. This reveals the universality of language as a human trait.
    While there are many languages, each has rules that act as constructs for the many sounds that make up that language. These rules and traits are known as grammar which are studied in the field of linguistics. Linguistics seeks to define and order various types of grammar due to the complexity of language in communication. While one may understand creative grammar, teaching grammar is necessary for learning new dialects or foreign languages.
    Fromkin masterfully articulates this interesting and sophisticated subject with grand detail. She uses vivid examples to show the meaning behind arbitrary sounds. She presents firm foundations in various languages that retain universality with finite sounds. Step by step she unpacks the complexity of grammar and how linguistics provides reasoning behind particular rules in language.

7. In Victoria Fromkinsā€™ ā€œWhat Is Language?ā€ she gives her readers a wide range of the meaning of language. She describes language as a way of communicating with our peers, or the communication of animals with how they interact with each other. In the reading, it states, ā€œlanguage is the source of human life and powerā€ which entails a great variation of the cultures we are surrounded by. In this society, we have people from different countries that speak different languages, have different dialects and ultimately have a different way of living life.

Language is composed of not only from a verbal dialogue, but in sign language as well which is an interesting concept. People who are deaf use these techniques to communicate with others as their form of communication which I find amazing as well all engage in some form of connection. The linguistic approach also, helps the idea of language through the creation of sentence structure. Fromkin, reminds us through her writing that we may not be able to use a dictionary to necessarily formulate all of the sentences there is in one particular language, however, it gives us the structure to create new sentences through grammar, spelling and linguistics.

Linguist, Noam Chomsky, was also mentioned and he refers to ā€œcreative aspect of language use.ā€ He is saying that everyone that has a knowledge of a language and the ability to create new sentences. Another idea that was brought to light, was language developing conversational speech. This concept helps people use words to communicate with others, create speeches to persuade, entertain or explain a point to someone. Language is a powerful factor in our lives, and I believe that it will continue to evolve for generations to come.

8. Chapter one of Victoria Fromkinā€™s ā€œWhat is Language?ā€ offered a solid introduction to the framework of language, definitions of key terms such as syntax, grammar, phology, etc. and a description of what language is. The reading goes in depth to provide a finite definition for such a complex concept. The reading defines language as something that is constantly changing and can have infinite meanings but finite signs. The text also tries to differentiate between languages, gestures and the application of these between humans and animals. It is interesting to dive deeper into these concepts and try to classify what is what. For an example text speaks about the relationship between physical gestures and spoken language which is arbitrary. It is interesting to further analyze this because at first I would think that the two are synonymous because of how closely they are used in communication. I also found the universal semantic properties that languages all share very interesting. Properties like ā€œmaleā€ and ā€œfemaleā€ that are embedded in language and can also be overlooked but when you closer observe the language you begin to see that they are an essential part of the language. The most interesting thing I took from the reading was the fact that language can have infinite meanings but finite signs. On a small scale you would think that language has finite meanings because in a sentence you could have trouble configuring the sentence infinitely but then you could reconfigure the paragraph the sentence is in and change the meaning that way, allowing more possibilities. It is interesting how holistically language could have infinite meanings with so little signs or symbols.

9. After reading Victoria Fromkins ā€œWhat is Language?ā€ it really peeked my interest in speech challenged individuals . The thought of having 52 sounds that can create an infinite number of words that could turn from words to sentences make me believe that it is possible that words and communications can also be formulated by people whom suffer with being deaf if they defined and associated there sounds like we have with our language . Another highlight for me was the introduction to the characteristics one of which being arbitrariness which is the connection between signifier and signified . It brung my mind to understand a little more about the interest Fromkins had in the pursuit of the understanding and origin of linguistics because I couldnā€™t imagine calling my bed a phone or my phone a bed. The importance of connection is a vital component to language universally . As my favorite topic rolls in again Fromkins mentions animal sounds in association with the sounds we gather for our language. With the inability to fully understand their communication and or dialect who can absolutely can that the sounds in which they make does not corporate into a language beyond our understanding ? yet thanks to our sophistication and complexity which is depicted as another characteristic of language by Fromkins , we have generated a discipline that helps us regulate or language called grammar that just maybe animals havenā€™t grammar. Grammar being in the rules in which we follow to correctly correlate our messages and communicate with one another that should be understandable to all in knowledge of said language. We took on the powers of the Indiana to be able to transcend messages now for the future with marks and words that make up a message. And as over time language can be added to and or manipulated we will continue to put a gap on our true knowledge and understanding of the worlds linguistics.

10. Language is a system of communication that people uses to be understood by others and understand others, with the help of sound and gesture. Language is beautiful. Language is unique. Language is powerful. Language is complex. Language is simple. Language make us human. Language gives meaning to human life. I personally speak three different languages and it is amazing how I can say one thing in 3 different way or write and read that thing in 3 different way. Fromkin, stated that there are 6 different characteristics of language. Universality meaning that everyone use a language of some type or form. Complexity, which mean all languages are complicated in their own way. Arbitrariness is the connection between the sound and the thing itself. Infinite Meanings is the ability to make a number of different sounds. Grammar is the fact that all languages have grammar that the person speaking use and the person being spoken to is able to understand what is being said to them. Prescriptive grammar give people the ability to process what they are going to say in their thought before they say it. That languages change all the time, language is never complete. The different gesture I use when speaking those languages and how my voice changes for each one of them, with different accent and dialect makes each languages so unique. Linguistic differ each languages and make them clear, specific and direct. Language is purposeful and have the ability to help us perceive others and be perceive by them.

11. After reading Victoria Fromkin’s ā€œ What is Language?ā€ you learn that article focuses on language. It does not focus on any specific language , it focuses on all types of languages. Shows us how we use it in our daily lives. We use all different types of languages , not just talking. We use language when we sleep or when you fight. In the article they explain that even when you make a sound effect that also counts as language as well. People have different ways of viewing language and they also have there own different types of languages. You have to look at languages from others point of views not just your own. Everyone has their own type of language including adults, animals , babies , and the disabled. Itā€™s pretty interesting how everyone has their own different languages. To make language you have to have an infinite amount of sounds because words are made from sounds. In different countries and states language is different you have people with accents, the grammar and just the way they write there words as well. I personally never knew that there was so many different languages including sounds made , fighting , breathing and etc. There are so many sounds in the world so i could imagine how many different languages there really is.

12. After reading Victoria Fromkin’s “What is language” you learn all about language and how it can affect our everyday lives. There are many different types languages that are spoken nationwide. Language in this sense doesn’t necessarily mean ; talking or any type of communication. Some people may view language to be only communication by mouth when in theory it can consist of anything. It can be your body language, it can be animals barking at each other. Victoria states, “Language is a system of communication that uses sound or gesture.” During my everyday life I can relate to what Victoria Fromkin is saying. I have two dogs. Two pit bulls. Many people think dogs barking is just them making sounds. I say that is incorrect. I view their body language and the way and tone of the bark. Everyone and everything i believe has a language of their own. I also believe that us as human can learn any and every language. Sounds, gestures, body movements, the way we walk, how harsh we talk, our tone of voice, the way we represent and present ourselves are all languages. We can stay here and talk about all of the many languages but why not go out there and learn a few more???!!

13. After reading Victoria Fromkin’s “What is language” you learn all about language and how it can affect our everyday lives. There are many different types languages that are spoken nationwide. Language in this sense doesn’t necessarily mean ; talking or any type of communication. Some people may view language to be only communication by mouth when in theory it can consist of anything. It can be your body language, it can be animals barking at each other. Victoria states, “Language is a system of communication that uses sound or gesture.” During my everyday life I can relate to what Victoria Fromkin is saying. I have two dogs. Two pit bulls. Many people think dogs barking is just them making sounds. I say that is incorrect. I view their body language and the way and tone of the bark. Everyone and everything i believe has a language of their own. I also believe that us as human can learn any and every language. Sounds, gestures, body movements, the way we walk, how harsh we talk, our tone of voice, the way we represent and present ourselves are all languages. We can stay here and talk about all of the many languages but why not go out there and learn a few more???!!

14. Nicholas Wade’s article offers an interesting viewpoint on things like vocabulary systems and the evolution of human language. It is interesting to look deeper into these systems not only in human language but in other species as well. Before looking deeper into these concepts I did know how complex vocabulary could get. Vocabulary in language could be compared to memory on a hard drive for most species. Some species can retain more than others but things can get complex. Language can also evolve. It is interesting to theorize how language evolved and developed to the complex system it is today. Dr. Bickerton feels language evolved when humans left the comfort of forest. Because of the necessity to pass messages humans were forced to adapt. Dr. Bickerton also believes that spoken words are relatively new in language compared to signs and gestures. Dr.Bickerton also believes 63 percent of human conversation is devoted to social interaction. This leads me to think about how technical information could be more effectively communicated and if conversation is the best way to communicate technical information if most of conversation is geared to things like gossip and social interactions. Dr.Steven Pinker of MIT feels that language drove society because people had things to talk about and incentive to have a conversation. Dr.Bickerton and Dr.Pinker both have very interesting viewpoints on language and how it evolved but something as complex as language can get trivial so it is important to see things from different perspectives and use data to make logical conclusions.

15. In Fromkinā€™s The Nature of Human Language she speaks on the nature of language and linguistic knowledge . Fromkin tells us that knowing the sound system of different languages helps to learn and speak that native language. She tells us of several characteristics of language, universality, complexity, arbitrariness, grammar, and signification with sound being the simplest connection and root between them all.

I never really understood why in certain languages the phonics are so different , same letter same sound, but not so all the time in sound or meaning. For example nun and none , they have the same sounds but the meaning and spelling, this is something that make our English language hard to learn.

16. The article written by Victoria Fromkin ā€œWhat is Language?ā€ primarily focused on the importance of language and its multiple aspects. She basically explains how we use language for all of our daily activities, such as expressing any form of emotion, expression, desire, sleep, walk, with/without the use of any words, sounds, and even movements. With a blink of an eye, twitch of the mouth you can practically tell a whole story or give commands. The article also mentions how language all around the world, even sign language is very complex; one is not easier or harder than the other. For instance, in Bangla ( language spoken by the people from Bangladesh) there are more than one way to say simple words like ā€˜fatherā€™ or ā€˜shirtā€™. This applies for all the 6,500 different languages spoken in the world. Even with sign language we might think it is just some random hand gestures however there is more to that! With a slight wave to the right or upwards, circular movement the interpreter is presenting not only a word, phrase, and/or idea but he/she is also describing the emotion and expression behind it. For instance the way we use our tone of voice to express a certain word, such as no, which we can say in multiple tones (positive/nice or negative/mean), with sign language you can do the same. Who would’ve thought? Language is complex yet fascinating and there is more than one way to express is when communication (gestures, expression, words, movement). Even animals use sound, gesture, and movement to express their thoughts to one another. You might look at your cat and that it does not smile back at you or show any type of expression when you handle it, but for a fact it expresses its feelings towards you by scratching, biting, purring, walking away, being playful, or rubbing against you. Animals might not be able to speak in order to communicate but they use sound and gestures as a form of communication. Deaf people use technology and gestures to express every emotion and idea while, animals use sound as well as movements, and others use words, sound, gestures, and technology to convey their ideas and vocalize their thoughts in order to communicate in society with their surroundings.

17. Language is the main difference between animals and human being. Language is not just vocal, but it could also be a gesture that has a certain meaning and could be understood by other people. Writing is also considered language, but also the tone of someone’s voice is also a kind of language. Both are a language because there are certain meanings when they are seen depending on how it was written by using different words and on what level is the persons vocal strength. Introduction to Language defines language as the system of speech and mutual understanding by others who also use the same language. There are 6 characteristics of language; universally, complexity, arbitrariness, infinite meaning, grammar, and language change over time. Language is universal because all humans use the concept of language whether it is different culture or countries they develop their own language for their population. It is complex because of all the different amount of countries and the number of different languages each is complex and are equal with expressive power. It is arbitrary is the connection between the meaning of the words to linguistic signs. Language has infinite meaning because there are infinite signs to make hundreds of words they are based on sounds to make meaning of words and then put together to make sentences. All Language has grammar because they are the rules that people follow to make sentences and how to process the sentences. All language changes over time because of peopleā€™s perceptive changes over time and when peopleā€™s perceptive change the way they intercept things differently and it changes the way people use languages.

18. Victoria Fromkinā€™s ā€œWhat is Language?ā€ article focused on the importance of languages and itā€™s role in our daily life. She states that language is a system of speech and, interpreting speech. Fromkin believed that language is organically made and by knowing language , one has the ability to produce sounds that signifies certain meanings or understand and interpret sounds made by others. Fromkins thinks that language has six key characteristics; Universality, complexity, arbitrariness, infinite meaning / finite sign, grammar, and change ( Language changes over time).