1199 Education Letter

June 20 2007

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Delia McKenzie; I am currently employed at New York Methodist Hospital at a part time position.  Despite my part time status I accrue full time hours every pay period.  I have been with my current employer for 1 year, but prior to this position, was employed at St. Mary’s Hospital for 4 years before their closure.  I am currently pursuing an (AAS) Nursing degree at New York City College for Technology and presently in the clinical phase of my studies.  I have completed 1 year of the required 2 year clinical phase, while actively working full time at NYM Hospital.  This past year has been very difficult for me because; I’m struggling to attend my clinical classes and work full time, while trying to maintain household expenses and survive. I never though working and attending the clinical classes would be such a challenge but I try as each day goes by not to think of the sleepless nights and other days when I stay up late studying and doing school assignments. I just think about the brighter days to come when I finally achieve my degree and become a Registered Nurse.  I think that this will be one of the happiest moments of my life.  I got a call from NYM Human Resources Department of my acceptance into the forgivable loan program (allowing me two days off from work a week with pay) I was overjoyed when I spoke to Mr. James Fields about coming down to the 1199 office for Orientation for the program.  On my arrival to the office and meeting up with Mr. Fields, I found out due to my (part time) status at work that I would not be eligible for the program.  I have written this letter in hopes that some how my acceptance into the forgivable loan program will be reconsidered.  The extra two days would really help me, I would have more time to study, do class assignments and more time for reading.  I would be compensated as well, which would go a long way for me financially.  It would be an honor for me to be accepted into the program, which will open up doors towards increasing the flexibility, between my work and school schedule. Thank you in advance for taking the time out to review my case regarding my eligibility for the forgivable loan program.  

Sincerely,

Delia McKenzie