Nursing Philosophy

I believe that nursing is an art, a discipline that focuses on the healing and restoring of the body, mind, soul and spirit of individuals; holistic care as some may know it to be. Nursing will always continue, irrespective of race or ethnicity, social class, gender or age. The profession of nursing must be holistic in order to be successful in bringing health or healing to the lives of those that are sick because the body, soul and spirit are all interwoven and interdependent on one another. The profession of nursing requires characteristics such as intelligence, skillfulness, respect, honesty, trustworthiness, compassion and kindness; but most of all, it requires the nurse to be grateful and thankful for the life and career that he/she has chosen and is able to live and fulfill all in the hopes of making a difference in the lives of those who become ill and vulnerable.

caring-1_full.jpg

One of the most common and well- known philosophy of nursing is Jean Watson’s Philosophy of Nursing. Watson’s philosophy incorporates ten primary carative factors, all of which I am in congruence with, however, I favor one of these factors more than the others; the reason for this is my values and beliefs. I have faith in a higher power, whom I believe knows and has answers and explanations for all that happens in this world we are living in. Now, although this may not be the belief for many people, for those who rely on a supernatural power, Watson’s faith-hope factor is, in my opinion an extraordinary theory. This theory says that when modern science has nothing further to offer a person, the nurse can continue to use faith-hope to provide a sense of well-being through beliefs which are meaningful to the individual. I believe in this statement 100%, for many people who believe in a higher power, when all else fails, they know or belief that there is a source that will never fail them! My principles and values that I live by also play a role in my philosophy of nursing. Some have been instilled in me from my parents and culture and some of which I derived on my own from experiences and life as a whole.

So for me and my career in this nursing profession, it is important to respect people so that in return you will gain respect, be honest so that you will gain trust of those that you interact with, do good and in return good will be done to and for you, remain humble no matter the levels in which you may rise and to remember that at any given moment, there’s a possibility that you may be the one whose body, mind, soul and spirit needs healing and restoring.

-Desiree Grenade, RN